Throgs Neck Lighthouse, Bronx, New York
Built in 1827.
THROGS NECK LIGHT
Location: ON THE NORTHEASTERLY SIDE OF FORT SCHUYLER, SOUTHEASTERLY END OF THROGS NECK AND ON THE NORTHERLY SIDE OF THE ENTRANCE FROM LONG ISLAND SOUND INTO THE EAST RIVER
Station Established: 1827
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1906
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: White, square, pyramidal, skeleton iron tower; lantern, black (1890); Red brick cylindrical tower (1906)
Height: 64-1/4-feet (1890); 35-feet (1906)
Original Lens: Fifth Order (1890); Fourth Order (1906)
Characteristic: Fixed white
Fog Signal: Bell struck by machinery every 15 seconds
- Original wooden lighthouse established in 1827. It was torn down during the construction of the fort.
- A new wooden tower replaced the original lighthouse in 1835. It remained in service until 1890.
- Replaced by a skeletal tower in 1890.
- An oil house was built in 1896.
- Skeletal tower replaced in 1906 with a 35-foot red brick tower. It's location was 700 feet southwest of the old light.
- Light discontinued in 1934 and replaced by a small skeleton tower surmounted with a small signal lamp.