Two Rivers Lighthouse, Lake Michigan, Two Rivers, Wisconsin
Built in 1886.
TWO RIVERS LIGHT (TWO RIVERS NORTH PIERHEAD LIGHT)
Location: MOVED TO ROGERS STREET FISHING VILLAGE IN TWO RIVERS WISCONSIN
Station Established: 1886
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1886
Automated: Yes – date unknown.
Foundation Materials: WOOD
Construction Materials: WOOD
Tower Shape: SQUARE 36 Foot Skeletal Tower.
Markings/Pattern: RED W/WHITE LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: None
Original Lens: Sixth Order Fresnel lens
- The light was first established in 1883 and was located on the north pierhead in Two Rivers to mark the entrance to the protected harbor. It displayed a fixed red light and was connected to shore by a long walkway along the pier. This light was tended by the keeper of the Rawley Point Light.
- In 1928 the light underwent repairs and was electrified.
- Light was deactivated in 1969 and was replaced with an automated beacon.
- In 1988 the top 15 feet of the tower was moved to a wooden platform in the Rogers Street Fishing Village Museum. The light underwent extensive restoration and was opened as one of the museum’s attractions.
- The light is open for public tours from May thru October.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S.