Tybee Island Range Front Lighthouse (Tybee Knoll Cut Range Front Lighthouse), Tybee Island, Georgia
Built in 1878.
TYBEE (KNOLL) CUT RANGE FRONT LIGHT
Location: ON THE NORTHERLY SIDE OF THE EASTERLY END OF LONG ISLAND, SOUTHERLY SIDE OF THE MAIN CHANNEL OF SAVANNAH RIVER
Station Established: 1878
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1878
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: Lantern on white dwelling
Original Lens: Sixth Order
Characteristic: Fixed white
- Built to replace lightships that had been on station since 1848.
- 1881 - Lighthouse survived hurricane that wiped out a village on Cockspur Island.
- 1911 - Lighthouse renovated, repaired or rebuilt in July.
- Building was destroyed sometime after 1914.
- Arthur Burn (Head Keeper, sometime after 1913)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.