Waukegan Harbor Light, Waukegan Harbor, Waukegan, Illinois
Built in 1889.
WAUKEGAN HARBOR LIGHT
Location: WAUKEGAN HARBOR, ILLINOIS
Station Established: 1899
Year Current Tower Lit: 1899
Foundation Materials: PIER
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH-ORDER FRESNEL
Range: 13 Miles
Characteristic: Fixed White 20 Sec. Followed by 4 red flashes at 5 sec intervals.
- In 1899 this light went into service on the end of the extended pier to mark the entrance into Waukegan Harbor. In 1905 a fog building was added to the tower.
- In 1967 a fire destroyed the fog building and the tower lantern. The fog building was removed as it was no longer being used. The tower was capped and a modern acrylic beacon was installed. The new light was green.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.