Wind Point Lighthouse, Wind Point, Wisconsin
WIND POINT LIGHT
RACINE HARBOR/LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1880
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1880
Automated? YES 1964
Foundation Materials: STONE
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/GREEN LANTERN & BASE, RED ROOF
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL 1880
- The light was first lit in 1880 using a kerosene lamp and contained a third order Fresnel lens.
- In 1900 a fog signal was added to the station.
- In 1924 the light became the second in the state to be electrified and the Fresnel lens was replaced by a 24R airport beacon.
- In 1964 the light was automated.
- In 1984 the light was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- In 1997 the property was awarded to the Village of Wind Point by the National Park Service.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.