Manitowoc Light, Lake Michigan, near Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
MANITOWOC BREAKWATER LIGHT
Location: LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1840
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1840
Foundation Materials: Brick
Construction Materials: Brick
Tower Shape: Conical
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: 11 lamps with 14-inch reflectors
- Congress approved funds for a lighthouse here in 1837.
- This first light was built in 1840 on high ground near the mouth of the Manitowoc River.
- In 1877 the light was discontinued when a new tower proved powerful enough to meet the harbor needs.
- In 1895 the tower and keeper’s house were demolished so a new two-story keepers’ duplex could be built for he keeper’s of the new lights.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.