Manitowoc North Pierhead Light, Lake Michigan, near Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
Built in 1850.
MANITOWOC NORTH PIERHEAD LIGHT
Location: LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1850
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1850 rebuilt (1940)
Operational? YES (1940 tower)
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE BREAKWATER
Tower Shape: SQUARE WHITE PYRAMIDAL TOWER
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: Unknown
- In 1850 the first pierhead light was built.
- In 1877 this light was thought to be powerful enough for the harbor and the main Manitowoc light was discontinued. At this time a fog bell was also installed in the light.
- In 1892 the light was refurbished.
- In 1918 after completion of the breakwater the light was moved closer to shore.
- In 1937 the 1850 light was destroyed in a storm.
- In 1940 A skeletal tower replaced it.
- In 1947 the light was moved to the end of the pier.
- In 1948 the light was moved back to where it had been.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.