Racine Harbor Lighthouse, Racine, Wisconsin
RACINE HARBOR LIGHT
RACINE HARBOR ENTRANCE OFF LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1866
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1866
Foundation Materials: ORIG/ROCK FILLED TIMBER CRIB
Construction Materials: WOOD
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER W/LANTERN REMOVED
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: Fifth Order Fresnel
- In 1866 the Racine Harbor Light was built on the eastern point of the north pier to guide mariners past the reefs and into the harbor. At this point the on-shore light (Root River Light) was discontinued and the lens moved to the new light.
- In 1869 the light suffered extensive damage when it was hit by a vessel.
- In 1870 a fourth order was installed.
- This light was deactivated when the new North Pierhead light was lit in 1902 or 1903. The lantern was removed and the dwelling was converted to housing.
- In 1939 the station was combined with the nearby life saving station.
- In 1975 the light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- At some point the light was sold and became part of the Pugh Marina.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.