Root River Light, Root River, Racine, Wisconsin
ROOT RIVER LIGHT
Location: Root River, Racine Wisconsin
Station Established: 1839
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1839
Deactivated: No Longer Standing
Foundation Materials: Brick
Construction Materials: Brick
Tower Shape: Square
Relationship to Other Structure: Integral
Original Lens: Argand lamp with 14 inch reflector.
- In 1839 a light was built at the bank overlooking the mouth of the Root River.
- In 1858 the light was raised by 6 feet and became a fixed white light. A Fifth order Fresnel was installed.
- At some point it became powered by gas from the city of Racine.
- In 1866 the light was discontinued due to the new Racine Harbor light.
- In 1870 the house and lot were sold.
- In 1876 the lighthouse was demolished.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.