Avery Point Lighthouse, Groton, Connecticut
Built in 1944.
AVERY POINT LIGHT
Location: Connecticut, on the University of Connecticut Avery Point Campus (near Groton)
Date Built: 1944 on the grounds of the Coast Guard Training Station at Avery Point, Groton, CT.
Characteristic: Ceremonial light tower - also used as an active aid to navigation from 1945 through 1967. Initially it was a fixed white light. On 3 March 1960 the characteristic was changed to flashing green as a part of a cluster of eight lights.**
Decommissioned: 25 June 1967 when the Coast Guard moved its training facility to Governor's Island.
**Information provided by the Avery Point Lighthouse Society
- 1940: This lighthouse was constructed as a memorial tower, a symbol of the Coast Guard's lightkeeping responsibility. (It was also built, according to the Avery Point Lighthouse Society, "to fulfill a contingency of the Quit Claim deed for receiving the property from the State of Connecticut…It was the last lighthouse built in the state of Connecticut.")
- 1967: The light was extinguished. No maintenance or upkeep has been done since then.
- 1997: It has been placed on the "Doomsday List" compiled by the magazine, Lighthouse Digest, as of December 1997.