Morgan Point Light, Mystic River, Noank, Connecticut
Built in 1831.
MORGAN POINT LIGHT
Location: West side of the mouth of the Mystic River, Noank, Connecticut
Station Established: 1831
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1868
Foundation Materials: NATURAL GRANITE SHELF
Construction Materials: WOOD TOWER/GRANITE DWELLING
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER ON MASONRY DWELLING
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER STEAMER
- In 1831 the federal government decided to build a lighthouse on Noank harbor. It was a 25-foot granite tower. There were many complaints that light was too dim. One solution was to replace the ten lamps with a sixth order Fresnel lens.
- As shipbuilding became more prominent in the area, a new lighthouse was needed and the current Morgan Point Lighthouse was built in 1868.
- In 1919, Morgan Point was discontinued and later sold to a private owner.
- It is no longer an active aid to navigation and is not open to the public.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society volunteer.