Bellevue Range Lights, Christina River on the Delaware River, Wilmington, Delaware
Built in 1909, discontinued in 1934.
BELLEVUE RANGE LIGHTS
Location: Mouth of the Christina River on the Delaware River, Wilmington, Delaware
Station Established: 1909
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1909
Foundation Materials: Concrete
Construction Materials: Cast iron
Tower Shape: Front--frame structure, square tower at center with a brown lantern; Rear--pyramid skeletal iron tower.
Markings/Pattern: Front--white; Rear--black
Characteristic: Front--flashing white; Rear--flashing white
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: Fourth Order, Fresnel
- The lighthouse is on the grounds of a landfill. Due to the expansion of the landfill the light was moved to a new structure.
- The light station had two keepers’ dwellings at one time. One was the former Christina Lighthouse. The other was a concrete house.
- The Bellevue Range Rear light was deactivated in 2001 when a modern tower was built to replace it. The modern tower is an active aid to navigation
- The Bellevue Range Rear Light is not open to the public.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a member of the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.