Delaware Breakwater Range Front Light, Delaware Bay, Delaware
Built in 1838.
DELAWARE BREAKWATER RANGE FRONT LIGHT (West End)
Location: Lewes Harbor / Delaware Bay entrance
Station Established: 1838
Foundation Materials: Sits on breakwater
Construction Materials: Brick dwelling with lantern on roof.
Relationship to Other Structure: Integral
Original Lens: Six lamps and reflectors
Characteristic: white flash every 45 seconds (when Fresnel installed)
Status: Torn down in 1950
- The light at this location was first established in 1838 when a light was placed on a house for the superintendent in charge of construction of the breakwater.
- In 1849 the actual lighthouse was completed.
- Once source indicated the 4th order Fresnel was installed in 1858 and another states it was installed in 1875 a 4th.
- In 1878 the light was severely damaged by a hurricane.
- In 1881 the light became the front light of the Delaware Breakwater Range.
- In 1889 another hurricane hit and destroyed the fog bell, outbuildings and the steps to the station.
- In 1903 the light became obsolete and was deactivated. The East End light then became the Front Range light.
- The West End light was turned over to the Philadelphia Maritime Exchange who used the light to monitor the passage of vessels into the Bay.
- A 1908 inspection report indicates there is a fixed red light affixed to an iron post.
- The Philadelphia Maritime Exchange discontinued use of the light in 1942.
- The light was demolished in 1950
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.