Barbers Point Light, Barbers Point, outside of Kalaeloa, Oahu, Hawaii
Originally built in 1888, current tower built in 1933.
BARBERS POINT LIGHT
Location: KALAELOA, OAHU ISLAND, HAWAII
Station Established: 1888
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1933
Foundation Materials: MASONRY
Construction Materials: CONCRETE
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL WITHOUT LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
- Barbers Point Light is named for Captain Henry Barber. His ship wrecked on a coral shoal off the point on October 31, 1976.
- The station was established in 1888. The current tower was built in 1933. It was automated in 1964.
- In a letter dated December 10, 1941, John M. Sweeney the Keeper at Barbers Point Light Station describes seeing Japanese and American planes flying overhead. They appeared to be dog fighting. He also describes parachutists landing near the light. He was warned not to go outside as the fighting raged on. The Army ordered the station open twenty four hours a day for full use by the Army. Machine gun emplacements were installed.
- The light is an active aid to navigation and is not open to the public.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.