Bakers Island Light (Baker's Island Light), Bakers Island, Salem, Massachusetts
BAKERS ISLAND LIGHT
Lighthouse Name: Baker’s Island
Location: Baker’s Island/Salem Harbor Approach
Station Established: 1791
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1821
Automated? Yes, 1972
Foundation Materials: Granite
Construction Materials: Granite and concrete
Tower Shape: Conical
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: Fourth Order, Fresnel
* In 1791 a day marker was established on Baker’s Island. It was replaced by twin light atop the keeper’s dwelling at each end in 1798.
* New towers were built and lit in October 1820. One tower was taller than the other. The lighthouses were nicknamed “Mr. and Mrs.” and “Ma and Pa”.
* A fourth order Fresnel Lens was installed in the taller of the towers in 1855.
* The smaller lighthouse was deactivated and dismantled in 1926.
* The taller tower remains and is an active aid to navigation. It was automated in 1972.
The above was researched and drafted by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.