Nantucket Range Lights, rear of Brant Point Lighthouse, Nantucket, Massachusetts
NANTUCKET RANGE LIGHTS
Location: On rising ground, about 1 mile in rear of Brant Point lighthouse, MA
Station Established: 1794
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1869
Foundation Materials: Sills on posts; of wood - set in ground.
Construction Materials: wood
Tower Shape: square base
Height: 17’ 9”
Relationship to Other Structure: separate
Original Lens: 21” reflector
Characteristic: fixed white
Fog Signal: none
* Circa 1820s, lamp on keeper’s hut was used as the rear range light.
* Nantucket Beacon (Rear Range) formed range with Brant Point light (Front Range) to mark a safe passage into Nantucket Harbor. Rear Range light was repositioned several times as the channel shifted.
* Replaced by the 1908 Nantucket Harbor Range Lights.
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.