Hawkins Point Lighthouse, Brewerton Channel Range, Maryland
Screwpile style lighthouse built in 1868.
HAWKINS POINT LIGHT
Lighthouse Name: Hawkins Point Light; also know as Brewerton Range Front Light and Brewerton Channel Range Front Light
Location: Off Hawkins Point more than halfway up the Patapsco River (for the Brewerton Channel) leading into the port of Baltimore; nearest Town or City is Curtis Bay, Maryland
Date Built: 1868
Type of Structure: White square two story structure built on screw pile in six feet of water
Height: 34 feet
Characteristics: Fixed white
Lens: Lighthouse with two lights: Each fitted with 2 Franklin lamps.
Foghorn: None noted in inspection report.
Status: No longer standing
- 1886 disputes started with the land owner, the Light House Board tried to purchase the land at the point but declined the exorbitant price, the case went to the U.S. Circuit Court for resolution ruling in favor of the Light House Board granting easement to send “unobstructed rays of light over the land” (LTB) pg 78)
- One light on top of a wooden tower at a 70’ focal plane was removed in the early 1900s with a lower light in the dwelling’s top floor at a 28’ height.
- The lighthouse was torn down and replaced with a tower in 1924 (LTB 109).
Keepers: James Murray Waterworth (c. 1880s), William Raabe (c. 1915)
Researched and written by Catherine (Kitty) Price, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.