Leading Point Light, Brewerton Channel Range, Maryland
LEADING POINT LIGHT
Name of Lighthouse: Leading Point Lighthouse (a.k.a. Brewerton Range Rear Light)
Location: Patapsco River
Date Built: 1868
Type of Structure: tower on roof of dwelling.
Foghorn: No record of foghorn.
Original Lens: 4th order Franklin lamps
Characteristic: Fixed white light
- Tower was built in 1868 only a mile from Hawkins Point Light.
- The 1870 inspection report shows keeper John Cooper tended the light. The Keeper’s wife occupied the building with him. There was no assistant keeper.
- In 1915 William Raabe was appointed keeper to both lights and they were considered range lights.
- In 1924 the light was replaced by a steel tower.
- At some point it was torn down and deactivated.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.