Blue Hill Bay Light, Green Island, Blue Hill Bay, Maine
Built in 1857.
BLUE HILL BAY LIGHTS
Location: ON GREEN ISLAND/BLUE HILL BAY
Station Established: 1857
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1857
Automated? YES 1935
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE??
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1857
- Also known as: Sand Island Light or Eggemoggin Light
- 1856-57 – Light station built.
- 1905 – Oil House built.
- 1935 – 4th order lens removed, 5th order lens placed on skeletal steel tower.
- Adelbert G. Webster (1877-1882)
- Howard P. Robbins (1882-1888)
- Roscoe G. Lopaus (1889-1895)
- Levi L. Farnham (1895-1900)
- Edwin K. Tapley (1900-1913)
- Roscoe Chandler (c. 1920s)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.