Monroe Light, Raisin River, Lake Erie, Michigan
MOUTH OF THE RIVER RAISIN, WESTERN LAKE ERIE, MONROE, MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1829
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: N/A
Foundation Materials: UNKNOWN
Construction Materials: MASONRY
Tower Shape: ROUND
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPERATE
Original Lens: UNKNOWN
There is very little information available regarding this lighthouse. The original light was a 40-foot masonry tower. A canal was built that moved the Monroe Harbor four miles north of the lighthouse in 1843. In 1849 a second Monroe Light was built. An octagonal, wooden tower was built at the new location of the Monroe Harbor.
In approximately 1885 a third light house was built. This was a tower a top a one-and-a-half story dwelling. The light was deactivated in 1916 and destroyed at an unknown date.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.