Redfish Bar Lighthouse, Galveston Bay, Texas
REDFISH BAR LIGHT
Location: ON REDFISH BAR, WESTERLY SIDE OF MIDDLE PASS THROUGH THE BAR, WESTERLY SIDE OF GALVESTON BAY
Station Established: 1854
Year First Lit: 1854
Tower Shape/Markings/Pattern: White structure with red horizontal stripes.
Original Lens: Fifth Order, Fresnel
Fog Horn: Fog bell sounded every 30 seconds
- Authorized by Congress in 1851.
- Built as a square cottage-style dwelling atop five screw piles.
- First lit in 1854.
- Lens replaced with a fixed Sixth Order lens in 1856.
- Destroyed Confederate forces during the Civil War.
- Repaired and put back into operation in 1869.
- In 1895 an inspector noted: "This light is almost useless as an aid to navigation in its present location. A cut was made through Redfish Bar. The old station is so decayed, however, that it is impracticable to remove it to a new location nearer the cut. Estimate $8,000 for a new lighthouse."
- During 1900 hurricane that destroyed Galveston a large steamer was driven past the station, missing it by only a few feet.
- On 26 February 1900 the light was replaced with a "five-day red" post lantern. It was damaged by fire an replaced on 1 April 1900 with an eight-day lantern.
- Post lantern permanently extinguished in 1912.