Cape Flattery Lighthouse, Strait of Juan de Fuca, near Neah Bay, Clallam County, Washington
CAPE FLATTERY LIGHT
Location: TATOOSH ISLAND/ENTRANCE TO STRAIT OF JUAN DE FUCA
Station Established: 1857
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1857
Automated? YES 1977
Foundation Materials: ROCK
Construction Materials: SANDSTONE/BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN & RED ROOF
Relationship to Other Structure:
Original Lens: FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL 1857
- Cape Flattery Lighthouse was built in 1857, but only after great difficulties with the Indians. Before commencing the lighthouse, it was necessary to build a blockhouse, and 20 muskets with ammunition were furnished for protection against Indians from the Canadian side of the Strait.
- Shortly after the light was completed the keeper resigned because he was annoyed by the numerous Indians who used the island as a fishing and whaling station.
- Cape Flattery Lighthouse is now electrified, and is fitted with a diaphone fog signal and a radiobeacon.
- The light can be seen for 19 miles and is 165 feet above water.