Campbell, 1936

WPG/WAGC/WHEC 32; (ex-George W. Campbell)

Jan. 19, 2020

The "Treasury" class Coast Guard cutters (sometimes referred to as the "Secretary" or 327-foot class) were all named for former secretaries of the Treasury Department.  The cutter Campbell was named for George Washington Campbell, a native of Scotland, who served as a Secretary of the Treasury under President James Madison.  He was born in 1769 and moved with his family to North Carolina in 1772.  Campbell graduated from Princeton in 1794 and won election to Congress in 1802.  He remained in Congress until 1809, serving as the chairman of the Ways and Means Committee during his last term.  He was chosen as a senator for Tennessee in 1811, but resigned in 1814 upon being appointed as the Secretary of the Treasury in 1814 by President  James Madison.  He was the first cabinet member from a region west of the Appalachian Mountains.  Campbell resigned after only eight months in office due to problems with raising finances for the war effort during the War of 1812, particularly after the British burned Washington.  He returned to the Senate in 1815 and served until April 1818, when he was appointed Minister to Russia.  He returned to the United States in July, 1820, and in 1831 was a member of the French Claims Commission.

He died in Nashville, Tennessee, on 17 February 1848.

Radio Call Sign: NRDC   

Cost:  $2,468,460.00

Keel Laid:  1 May 1935

Launched:  3 June 1936

Commissioned:  16 June 1936

Decommissioned:  1 April 1982

Disposition: Sunk by USN as a target off Hawaii on 29 November 1984

Builder: Philadelphia Navy Yard, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Displacement: 2,350 (1936)

Length: 327' 0"

Beam: 41' 0"

Draft: 12' 6" (max.)

Propulsion: 2 x Westinghouse double-reduction geared turbines; 2 x Babcock & Wilcox sectional express, air-encased, 400 psi, 200° superheat; 2 x 9' three-bladed propellers.

SHP: 6,200 (1966)

Maximum Speed: 20.5 knots

Economical Cruising: 11.0 knots (8,000 nautical miles)

Fuel Oil Capacity:  135,180 gallons (547 tons)

Complement:  1937: 12 officers, 4 warrants, 107 enlisted; 
                         1941: 16 officers, 5 warrants, 202 enlisted;
                         1966: 10 officers, 3 warrants, 134 enlisted.


    HF/DF: (1942) DAR (converted British FH3) ?
    Radar: (1943) British 271, SC, SG; SC-3, SGa; (1966) AN/SPS-29D, AN/SPA-52.
    Fire Control Radar: (1945) Mk-26; (1966) Mk-26 MOD 4
    Sonar: (1945) QC series; (1966) AN/SQS-11


1936: 2 x 5"/51 (single mount); 2 x 6-pounders.; 1 x 1-pounder.

1941: 3 x 5"/51 (single mount); 3 x 3"/50 (single mount); 4 x .50 caliber Browning MG; 2 x depth charge racks; 1 x "Y" gun depth charge projector.

1943: 2 x 5"/51 (single mount); 4 x 3"/50 (single mount); 2 x 20mm/80 (single mount); 1 x Hedgehog; 2 x "K" gun depth charge projectors; 2 x depth charge racks.

1945: 2 x 5"/38 (single mount); 3 x 40mm/60 (twin mount); 6 x 20mm/80 (single mount).

1946: 1 x 5"/38 (single mount); 1 x 40mm;/60 (twin mount); 8 x 20mm/80 (single mount); 1 x Hedgehog.

1966: 1 x 5"/38 MK30 Mod75 (single); MK 52 MOD 3 director; 1 x MK 10-1 Hedgehog; 2 (P&S) x Mk 32 MOD 5 TT, 4 x MK 44 MOD 1 torpedoes; 2 x .50 cal. MK-2 Browning MG, 2 x MK-13 high altitude parachute flare mortars.

Aircraft: Grumman JF-2 


The 327-foot cutters were designed to meet changing missions of the service as it emerged from the Prohibition era.  Because the air passenger trade was expanding both at home and overseas, the Coast Guard believed that cutter-based aircraft would be essential for future high-seas search and rescue.  Also, during the mid-1930's, narcotics smuggling, mostly opium, was on the increase, and long-legged, fairly fast cutters were needed to curtail it.  The 327's were an attempt to develop a 20-knot cutter capable of carrying an airplane in a hangar. 

The final 327-foot design was based on the Erie-class Navy gunboats; the machinery plant and hull below the waterline were identical.  This standardization saved money--always paramount in the Coast Guard's considerations--and the cutters were built in U.S. Navy shipbuilding yards.  Thirty-two preliminary designs of a modified Erie-class gunboat were drawn up before one was finally selected.  The healthy sheer forward and the high slope in the deck in the wardrooms was known as the "Hunnewell Hump."  Commander (Constructor) F. G. Hunnewell, USCG, was the head of the Coast Guard's Construction and Repair Department at that time.

The Secretary class cutters proved to be highly dependable, versatile and long-lived warships--most served their country for over 40 years.  In the words of one naval historian, John M. Waters, Jr., they were truly their nation's "maritime workhorses."  Waters continued: "the 327's battled, through the 'Bloody Winter' of 1942-43 in the North Atlantic--fighting off German U-boats and rescuing survivors from torpedoed convoy ships.  They went on to serve as amphibious task force flagships, as search-and-rescue (SAR) ships during the Korean War, on weather patrol, and as naval gunfire support ships during Vietnam.  Most recently, these ships-that-wouldn't-die have done duty in fisheries patrol and drug interdiction.  .  .Built for only $2.5 million each, in terms of cost effectiveness we may never see the likes of these cutters again."


Contract negotiations were completed and the keel of the cutter George W. Campbell, (Builder's No. CG-65), was laid on 1 May 1935 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.  The Commandant, RADM Harry D. Hamlet, attended the ceremony along with his aide, CDR Russell R. Waesche, who replaced Hamlet as commandant the following year.  Builder's Number CG-65 was the first of seven cutters of her class to be laid down and was the fifth cutter to bear that name.  The George W. Campbell was launched on 3 June 1936 and commissioned on 16 June 1936.  She then sailed for her homeport of Stapleton, New York, under the command of CDR E.G. Rose, USCG.  Her assignment was to conduct search and rescue and law enforcement patrols.

George W. Campbell departed New York on 22 October 1936, bound for "European waters" for her shakedown cruise.  She departed Southampton, England, on 5 November 1936, and returned to New York on the 16th.  She sailed on a cadet practice cruise, beginning on 5 June 1937, from New London, Connecticut, returning to New London on 9 August 1937.  She returned to New York on 15 August 1937.  It was during this time that her official name was shortened to simply "Campbell" and it was also during this time that her most famous crewman reported aboard, the mascot Sinbad.  He served on board the Campbell throughout her tour of duty during World War II, causing at least two international incidents in foreign harbors, faithfully manned his battle station during combat, and generally kept the crew amused during her long voyages over the next eight years.

Her next major assignment came in 1939, an oceanographic cruise that began on 18 August 1939.  Campbell sailed to ports in Norway, Sweden, and the British Isles.  While in Bergen, Norway, on 29 August 1939, Campbell embarked Secretary of the Treasury, Henry Morgenthau and his son,  who had been on vacation in the area with his family, to return them to the US.  Secretary Morgenthau disembarked at St. John's, Newfoundland, on 3 September 1939. On 5 September 1939 she was ordered by the Secretary of the Treasury, responding to a request by the Secretary of the Navy, to join with two US Navy destroyers in taking a position in the North Atlantic "to be of assistance of shipping in the area."  That same day Campbell proceeded to the assistance of the SS City of Flint, which was transporting survivors from the torpedoed SS Athenia, and returned them to the U.S.

On 1 September 1939, however, war broke out in Europe.  On 5 September, President Franklin D. Roosevelt proclaimed American neutrality in the conflict and ordered the formation of a neutrality patrol by the Navy to report and track any belligerent air, surface, or submarine activity in the waters off the United States east coast and in the West Indies.  The Navy determined that its destroyers were not capable of extended cruises in the North Atlantic and asked that the Coast Guard conduct these patrols.  The Coast Guard assigned the Campbell to conduct the first Coast Guard neutrality patrol, which were referred to as "Grand Banks Patrols."  Her orders were to identify foreign men-of-war, be on the lookout for any "unneutral" activities, and report anything of an unusual nature.  Each cruise would last approximately two weeks.  The Campbell departed New York on 2 October 1939.  Obtaining all possible information from the ships she encountered, the cutter illuminated her ensign by searchlight at all times, and prefaced all signals with Coast Guard identification.  She was relieved by Hamilton and returned to New York on 15 October 1939.

The Campbell departed on her second Grand Banks Patrol on 25 October 1939, returning on 8 November 1939.  She departed on her third patrol on 25 November 1939 and returned to New York on 8 December 1939.  Her fourth patrol began on Christmas Day, 1939, and she returned in the new year on 7 January 1940.  Her fifth and final Grand Banks Patrol on 23 January 1940 and returned to New York on 29 January 1940, two days after these neutrality patrols were officially discontinued.  The "neutrality" observation duties carried out on these patrols were now to be carried out by those cutters sailing on the newly established weather observation stations, sometimes referred to as ocean weather stations.

Since the war had stopped the flow of weather data from merchant ships, the Coast Guard drew the duty of maintaining continuous patrol of two 327-foot cutters, covering a quadrangular area in mid-Atlantic between the Azores and Bermuda. Their duty involved steaming on station within a certain radius of the prearranged position at all times.  Each cutter embarked meteorologists from the Weather Bureau who made observations with radiosondes and balloons, and the cutter provided Pan American Airways Boeing 314 flying boats--"Yankee Clipper," "Dixie Clipper," and "American Clipper"--with weather and position reports and transmitted radio signals to allow the planes to take accurate bearings.

The Campbell departed on her first weather observation cruise on 18 March 1940, taking station on Weather Station No. 1.  Here she continued her work of identifying foreign-flag vessels, reporting on the weather, and furnishing the "Clippers" with necessary meteorological information.  As on all cruises, Campbell's radiomen maintained a double watch when the "Clippers" passed overhead on the transatlantic run and furnished these tremendous flying boats with necessary meteorological information.  

She returned to New York on 17 April 1940 and was ordered to prepare for a special cruise to Greenland waters at the request of the State Department.  She departed for Greenland on 30 May 1940, returning to New York on 8 July 1940.  She departed for Greenland once again on 23 July 1940 and returned to New York on 15 September 1940.  While in Greenland waters on these cruises, she sailed through Davis Strait and Baffin Bay, taking soundings and making preliminary charts of the coastline as most of the extant charts of Greenland were in German-occupied Copenhagen.  Additionally, the Campbell landed a 3-inch gun and an assortment of smaller weapons at Ivigtut, the location of the important cryolite mine, and 14 Coast Guard volunteers, including three of the Campbell's crew, who had accepted discharges to become the nucleus of a civilian armed guard at the mine.  

On 5 October 1940, Campbell was transferred to US Navy control and dispatched to Lisbon, Portugal, for what was nicknamed "Flagpole Duty."  She was assigned to protect US nationals and maintain a US presence there.  After being relieved by the cutter Ingham (WPG-35) on 28 April 1941, Campbell then returned to New York, arriving at Stapleton on 7 May 1941.  She was then ordered to report to the commanding officer of the Third Naval District for duty on 6 June 1941.  The Campbell then reported for duty with the Inshore Patrol Force on 22 July 1941.  

An executive order of 11 September 1941, assigned all units, vessels, and personnel of the Coast Guard previously transferred to or under detail with the Navy and such additional units, vessels and personnel of the Coast Guard as was agreed to between the Chief of Naval Operations and the Commandant of the Coast Guard, were ordered to operate as part of the Navy and the personnel be subject to the laws enacted for the government of the Navy.  The cutter Campbell (WPG-32), was one of these units.  It was during this period that the Navy tested the abilities of the Secretary Class cutters to act as convoy escorts, with Campbell serving as the "guinea pig" for the tests.  Campbell's performance was proved to be effective and plans were then made to transfer all of the 327-foot cutters to the Navy for use as convoy escort and anti-submarine warships.

The Campbell's permanent station was changed from Stapleton to Boston, effective as of 18 February 1942.  On 24 February 1942, while on convoy duty in the Atlantic, the Campbell made a sound contact on her underwater sound equipment.  She dropped six depth charges and fired two from her "Y" gun-depth charge projector.  A few minutes later on another contact, a second barrage was fired.  Fifteen minutes later a third contact was made, then there were contacts made every ten or fifteen minutes in the next hour and a half.  Altogether ten contacts were made during that period, with from two to seven depth charges fired on each one.  Increasing speed to overtake the convoy she zigzagged on each side of the course.  An hour later another contact was made at 500 yards and during the next 45 minutes she picked up four more contacts none of which was definite enough to drop charges.

Underway on 22 March 1942 out of Casco Bay, Maine, the Campbell escorted the American Army transport SS Chatham to Argentia, Newfoundland, being relieved of escort duty on the 25th and anchoring in Placentia Bay.  Early in April she was underway again as part of a task force en route to Londonderry, Ireland.  There was air coverage by British planes the first day and the trip was uneventful except for various radar and sound contacts which yielded negative results.  Sighted Ireland on 10 April and entered River Foyle and moored at Naval Depot at Lisabally at 2030.

Returning to Boston she laid  in at the Navy Yard undergoing repairs.  Exchanged a 5-inch for a 3-inch gun, installed 6 more 20 mm guns, substituted 2 "K" guns for "Y" guns and had splinter protection built around three gun decks, bridge and wheel house.  On 15 May 1942 Navy Task Unit Commander reported on board and shortly after she was underway again to Londonderry, in company with six escort vessels in 'V" formation and 18 ships in convoy.  On the 25th two escorts departed the main convoy escorting 6 of the fastest ships to Liverpool. British escort vessels patrolled the port and starboard flanks and British planes provided air coverage on the 214th radar contacts being made on them at a distance of miles.  On the 27th the Campbell dropped a depth charge and fired two "K" guns on a contact which proved doubtful.  Fifteen minutes later another contact was made, classified as good, and she attacked laying a full pattern. Twenty minutes later a contact at 2,700 yards grew clearer as she approached and she laid another full pattern, getting the hydrophone effect during the first stage of the attack.  Fire on the surface for 75 feet around a water-light dropped over the aide in the middle of the charges indicated burning oil. Attempts to destroy a floating mine were unsuccessful.  Relieved of escort duty she stood into Lough Foyle and launched a pyramid target for battle practice.

On 10 June, 1942, the Campbell was underway from Moville, North Ireland, to join convoy ONS-102 in company with the six vessel Task Unit 24.1.3 with escort commander in the Campbell.  Intercepted the convoy on the same day in two sections, the Liverpool section containing 35 ships and the Loch Ewe section 12 ships.  On the 14th the convoy was joined by the Iceland escort to swell the number to 63 ships and 10 escorts.  On the 15th the Campbell intercepted test dashes on 500 LCS for one and a half minutes apparently very close by.  Proceeding, with two other escorts, to check these dashes, she received a true bearing on vessel No. 11 in the convoy, the SS FlowergateCampbell closed in for investigation and boarding the vessel with three officers and nine men, the inspection party returned with two operators under suspicion and made prisoners-at-large.  All operators denied transmitting any signals and all the crew were questioned. 

On the 16th a strong High-Frequency Direction Finding [hereafter HF/DF] bearing, thought to be a German U-boat, sending a weather report, was intercepted and an escort vessel was instructed to search 20 miles out on from convoy bearing 176° T.  The escort sighted a submarine on the surface and requested another escort.  The Campbell went to her assistance, made contact and fired a full pattern of depth charges.  Later the Campbell sighted the submarine on the surface six miles ahead but it submerged immediately.  Going full speed ahead to close she dropped depth charges with negative results.  About the same time the Ingham sighted a submarine on the surface bearing 115° T at a distance of about eight miles and proceeded to close, firing a 5" shell at 13,000 yards.  A scouting line was formed to continue the search, which was abandoned four hours later with negative results.  

Having received seven submarine sighting reports, sighted three subs on the surface to the east and received direction finding bearings during the night, the escort commander, on the 17th, recommended a radical change of course to starboard after dark.  At 0125 on the 18th, the SS Seattle Spirit in the convoy was torpedoed.  The Campbell sighted a submarine on the port beam, awash, about 500 yards and gave hard left rudder to try to ram, but the U-boat turned left and a minute later dived.  The Campbell fired a star shell barrage ahead and began firing a depth charge barrage by eye with the shell pattern, but with negative results.  At 0205 the HMCS Agassiz reported picking up survivors of the Seattle Spirit, in company with the SS Perth, a rescue ship.  She reported the NR-112 had been torpedoed also with three of the crew missing and one critically injured.  The escort commander directed the Agassiz to sink her as soon as all survivors were well clear.  At 0020 on the 19th the Campbell sighted three white wakes, apparently torpedo tracks and fired two rockets to broadcast the warning.  At the same tine the Agassiz fired a depth charge on a swirl of water caused by a diving submarine astern of column three.  Five minutes later the HMCS Collingwood felt a violent explosion close by, made by a torpedo at the end of its run after missing her.  At 0828 three corvettes sent out by the CCNF joined the convoy to act as a striking force.  On the 20th numerous sound and radar contacts were made throughout the day and finally at 2248 the Agassiz sighted a ship three miles astern on the starboard bow of the convoy which had fired two rockets, blown six blasts on its whistle and turned deck lights on, indicating it had been torpedoed. 

The Agassiz began searching north of torpedoed ship as other escorts were searching south.  The Campbell closed convoy at full speed and dropped three depth charges set at 200 feet at intervals of 10 seconds as an embarrassing barrage.  The HMCS Mayflower heard a loud explosion and immediately thereafter a ship about two miles on the port beam showed a red over white light and blew a siren signal. The Mayflower fired starshells over an arc of 90-degrees and swept the starboard quarter of the convoy.  On returning to station the ship had extinguished its lights and the Mayflower proceeded with the convoy, having searched for survivors and found none.  At 2254 the Collingwood heard an explosion and saw two rockets.  Turning toward the lead ship, and in the light of "snowflakes," a submarine was reported on the surface between NR 12 and 13.  Machine gun fire was observed from a convoy ship toward the same position and the Collingwood proceeded at full speed to the spot, dropping five single depth charges as deterrents, and firing a pattern of five starshells on the outward leg, but observing no contacts.  Two red lights in the middle of the convoy seemed to indicate that at least two ships had been hit. 

At 2255, Mayflower reported "ship torpedoed one mile off my port beam."  Next day, the 21st, Campbell began a sweep around the convoy to count ships, check on escort, and determine what ships, if any, had been lost.  She did not learn of any torpedoing, but found NR 13, the SS Cantal, missing, with no survivors reported as having been picked up.  There were now 60 ships in the convoy and eight escorts after several had departed in various destinations.  On the 22nd Campbell departed the main convoy en route Argentia arriving there on the 23rd.

The Campbell was moored in Little Placentia Harbor for minor repairs until 1 July 1942, when she got underway escorting a convoy of 43 ships to Londonderry, Ireland, with the cutter Spencer (WPG-36), and 14 British escorts in company.  On the 9th, ship No. 45 reported man overboard.  The Campbell went astern to contact the ship and found that the man overboard had no life jacket and was presumably lost.  At 0300 on the 10th, with Farad Point Light, Ireland, 25 miles distant, starshell illumination and gunfire was observed on the port side of the convoy ahead.  Later more starshells and gunfire were observed at a greater distance.  She moored at Londonderry at 1735 without further incident.  

Standing out of Lough Foyle, Ireland on 21 July 1942, Campbell  with Spencer and the 14 British escorts, accompanied a 32 vessel convoy.  On the 22nd, ship No. 31 dropped astern being unable to maintain her position.  Next day Spencer searched 30 miles astern for the straggler but was unable to locate her. Depth charges were dropped by Spencer and two other escorts on the 25th on doubtful contacts with negative results.  On the 31st the main convoy passed through the anti-torpedo net into Placentia Harbor, Argentia.  The Campbell left Argentia on 3 August, 1942, for Boston Navy Yard for repairs.  En route on the 14th she made a radar contact and maneuvering to investigate found a British escort vessel with a convoy five miles abeam to starboard.  She remained at the Navy Yard until 25 August 1942, undergoing repairs.

Having proceeded to Casco Bay, Maine, and spent several days standing out of the harbor for submarine exercises, Campbell got underway on 14 September 1942, escorting two navy tugs en route to assist the USS Wakefield (AP-21), which was afire at sea.  She established contact on the 6th with Wakefield who was in tow of a Canadian tug en route Halifax and the two tugs Campbell was escorting, were directed to fall in astern.  On the 7th a navy tug and two more Canadian tugs joined, and at 0830 salvage party was put aboard Wakefield from USS Radford and a Canadian tug maneuvered astern and played the fire hose on the burning vessel, flooding the after magazine. On the 8th Wakefield hove to off the entrance to Halifax swept channel and was boarded by a pilot.  The Campbell, relieved of escort duty, departed for Argentia.

From the 8th to the 15th of September 1942, Campbell was moored in Little Placentia Harbor, while officers attended the attack teacher exercises.  CDR James A. Hirshfield, USCG, replaced CDR D. C. McNeil, USCG, as the commanding officer on the 12th.  CDR McNeil was to assume duties as escort commander for Greenland convoys.  On the 35th of September 1942, Campbell was underway en route to rendezvous with Ireland-bound convoy SC-100, which was sighted on the 16th and consisted of 22 ships, later augmented to 24, and five escorts.  A report  that a U-boat had been sighted was received at 1517 and Campbell patrolled her sector without results.  Eight hours later a sound contact was made and she dropped a pattern of seven large (600 lb.) and 2 small (300 lb.) depth charges with negative results, the contact being classified as doubtful.  On the 19th Spencer, which was in company, reported a positive contact at 0624 and sighted the sub surface two hours later.  The convoy made a 45-degree emergency turn to port.  On the 20th a British escort about 0900 again reported a sub on the surface about six miles away.  The Campbell was ordered to assist and increased to full speed to intercept the sub ahead of the other escort, but the sub was not sighted. The Campbell continued to search for several hours without sound contacts. 

At 1145 ship No. 71, SS Empire was torpedoed and sank.  All searches for the U-boat were negative.  It was determined that the convoy was being shadowed by at least five U-boats and extra lookouts were posted.  During the night Campbell became detached from the convoy, due to high seas and westerly storm winds, but intercepted messages from the convoy on the 22nd indicated that 12 ships were riding out the storm on course 250°, while others were on course 110-degrees.  The Campbell, with ship darkened and a speed of only eight knots, had extra lookouts posted.  Rejoining the convoy, Campbell  departed on the 24th on a high speed sweep at 0930.  At 1035 a plane reported that a sub was bearing 600° T, 10 miles from the convoy and further reports from planes indicated that a total of seven sightings had been made, with two attacks by aircraft and one direct hit. 

At 1130 Campbell abandoned her sweep to hunt for the reported submarines, and at noon a plane reported having sighted a sub and dropped smoke floats to mark the U-boat's last position.  At 1219 Campbell's lookout reported a submarine on the surface bearing 65-degrees and all hands were ordered to general quarters.  The Campbell opened fire with her 3-inch guns and reduced speed to 15 knots to search the area where the sub had last been seen, with HMCS Rosthern assisting.  At 12145 Rosthern reported a sound contact and dropped depth charges.  At 1142 aircraft were sighted apparently dropping depth charges and Campbell, at full speed, maneuvering to attack, obtained a positive sound contact and dropped a full pattern of six large and three small charges.  The aircraft reported bubbles rising in the area of these depth charge explosives and Campbell then laid a deep pattern in the area where the bubbles were rising and dropped a pattern of three large and two small charges.  Reducing speed Campbell was unable to make contact, no hydrophone or doppler effect being detected.  The search was continued until 1550 with no further results.  At 1655 a plane was sighted about seven and one-half miles distant engaged in dropping depth charges and Campbell increased to full speed and headed for that position.  The plane reported having depth charged a sub with negative results and Campbell, using the smoke bomb dropped by the plane as the center, searched the surrounding area for two hours without a contact.  On the 28th, the convoy entered the swept channel approach to Lough Foyle, Ireland, and moored.

The Campbell remained anchored until the 3rd of October 1942, when she departed with Spencer as part of TU. 24.1.3, and rendezvoused with the 30 ship convoy ON-135.  Later six more ships and 14 British escorts from Loch Ewe joined the convoy. locating a floating mine, the Campbell warned the convoy by siren, fired 30 rounds without hitting it and then stopped and drifted with it to indicate its position to the convoy.  On the 5th the wind increased to whole gale force with very rough seas scattering the convoy in poor formation.  Two of the ships in the convoy turned back.  On the 6th speed was reduced to six and a half knots with the barometer dropping rapidly and the wind at whole gals force.  On the 7th, Campbell proceeded down the starboard flank of the convoy to communicate convoy course and speed to three stragglers and sighted a convoy about eight miles distant bearing 285 degrees T.  On the 8th the wind decreased and the convoy remained somewhat scattered with all 34 ships and six escorts accounted for.  On the 10th she commenced a five hour high speed sweep 15 miles ahead and then around the convoy.  This was repeated on the 11th and on the 12th she contacted stragglers astern.  On the 13th intercepted message during the mid-watch indicated that a convoy in the vicinity was being attacked by U-boats.  At 1355 sighted a white rocket from the center of the convoy but there were no further developments and two hours later she conducted a 51 mile sweep ahead of the convoy.  On the 11th a friendly plane and a Canadian destroyer were sighted and at 1405, along with Spencer she was relieved as escort, and arrived at Little Placentia Bay on the 15th.

After a preliminary anti-submarine sweep out of Little Placentia Bay on the 21st of October 1942, Campbell got underway on the 23rd as flagship of Task Unit 24.1.3 standing out of St. John's Harbor to rendezvous with a 48 ship convoy, HX-212, in company with USS Badger (DD-126) and four British escorts.  At 1310 the local escort departed with four merchant ships.  After several false sound contacts Campbell at 1753 obtained an HF/DF bearing on a U-boat transmission, on a bearing dead astern and distant 25 miles, which was possibly reporting sighting the convoy.  At 1320 the same message was picked up, the same message probably being relayed from a German shore station.  On the 25th Badger made a high speed sweep ahead, and Campbell maneuvering astern at 1517 obtained an HF/DF bearing on a U-boat transmission at a distance of 25 miles and directed Badger to search out 15 miles on this bearing and then sweep back and astern of the convoy for the rest of the night. 

Relieved by Rosthern early on the 26th, Campbell commenced a 12-mile sweep ahead of the convoy at 1150 and swept across its van.  At 1620 she commenced a stern sweep 15 miles out and took her night station.  On the 27th Badger was sent 12 miles out along an HF/DF bearing and at 0215 obtained a sound contact bearing 065° T, range 1,200 yards, which was lost at 900 yards and classified as doubtful.  At 0310 obtained an HF/DF bearing at 194° T, range very close, and at 0415 another at 0298° T, again very close, and dispatched Trillium to investigate.  Another bearing at 0512 was also at 0298° T.  The Trillium returned reporting negative results.  The Badger was then sent to investigate a series of transmissions but returned at 0700 without results.  At 1210 Rosthern searched along a transmission bearing 177° T and at 1715 one at 249° T.  At 1830 two glows were sighted on the horizon at 150° and 1600 and at 190° two glows were identified as lights, source undetermined.  Eight minutes later three ships Nos. 12, 21, and 23 were torpedoed in position 54° 40' N x 30°  12' W.  Ringing general alarm, commenced "Zombie Crack" maneuvers; fired two white rockets and at 1918 commenced laying star-shell barrage, patrolling up and down port flank of convoy, which made 45° emergency turn to starboard at 2,000 and at 2022 similar turn to port to avoid three neutral Swedish ships, from which previous glow had come.

At 0120 on the 26th sighted escorting corvette and at 0245, six miles off port quarters of convoy observed what seemed to be an explosion and a burning vessel in the convoy, apparently torpedoed.  Convoy Commodore reported ship No. 22 torpedoed on starboard side at 54° 55' N x 28°  33' W and several ships fired 'snowflakes," Badger firing star-shells.  At 0500 commenced a stern sweep and at 0622 observed another explosion bearing 270° T followed by star-shells.  This was believed to be ship No. 22 torpedoed a second time.  At 0630 commenced patrolling starboard flank of convoy.  At 1230 obtained sound contact at 1,800 yards, ran it down, passed over it and lost it, regaining it at 1243 at 950 yards, dropped three large depth charges and lost it again.  Classified probably non-sub.  At 1307 sighted plane at seven miles which commenced making a  tight circle at low altitude and reported sub below it which had dived.  Beaded toward spot and commenced search of area indicated by smoke pot dropped by plane.  At 1425 secured from general quarters and dropped astern of convoy eight miles.  At 1540 a plane attacked a submarine submerging 12,800 yards distant and Campbell headed down the bearing at 17 knots, picking up a sound contact at 1617 at 2,000 yards and fired five large and three small depth charges.  After reversing course regained contact at 1645, range 1,200 yards, lost it, and picked it up again nine minutes later at 650 yards, losing it 14 minutes later.  Continued to search the area until 1706 without results.  

At 0016 on the 29th ship No. 42 in the convoy was torpedoed forward on the starboard side in position 54° 58' N x 23° 58' W and fell astern, still afloat and blazing fiercely, Summerside standing by for rescue work.  At 0020 escort commodore ordered a negative "Zombie Crack" and at 0100 commenced stern sweep and at 0200 started starboard flank at 3,000 yards distance.  At 0215 obtained a HF/DF U-boat transmission at 20 miles.  At 0318 convoy ship No. 24 wee torpedoed at 55° 05' N x 23°  27' W.  Fired two white rockets and began illuminating wan of convoy with star-shells.  At 0454 another ship was reported torpedoed but this proved a false alarm, the ship being disabled by heavy seas.

At 1027 on the 31st, a radar contact, range 23 miles, proved to be a British Sunderland plane which was sighted at eight miles.  At 1200 on the 31st, the convoy rearranged columns preparatory to splitting up at the dispersal point.  At 0500 on the 1st of November, three ships of the convoy departed for Loch Ewe and Campbell proceeded to Moville for refueling, the rest of the convoy to Londonderry, where Campbell joined them later that day.

The Campbell remained at Londonderry until 8 November 1942, standing down the River Foyle to Moville after anti-aircraft firing practice, and on the 10th at 0356 was underway to rendezvous with the 34 ship convoy ON-145, assuming command as flagship of Task Unit 24.1.3, with USS Badger, three British escorts and the Polish destroyer ORP Burza which joined on the 12th.  On the 14th sighted a merchant snip 4,000 yards ahead of convoy and instructed her to return to station.  On the 15th conducted bow and stern sweeps and on the 16th headed down the starboard flank to search astern for stragglers, two of whom were found two miles astern and one seven miles astern.  Search for another was abandoned 18 miles astern.  On the 17th, 15 ships of convoy were detached and proceeded independently for South African ports, leaving 18 ships with six escorts.  

At 1021 on the 18th, one of the ships proceeding south reported sighting a submarine and the Badger departed to investigate.  On the 19th three of the relieving local escorts arrived and with the arrival of the remainder on the 20th, Campbell departed for Argentia, making two radar contacts which apparently were caused by low clouds in an overcast sky.  At 0545 received an SOS from a vessel in position 39° 55' N x 52° 32' W which had been torpedoed with the crew abandoning ship.  At 1330 she entered the swept channel at Argentia.  At 1710 she searched the northern area off Shalloway Point for a reported submarine and on the 21st sighted a convoy nine miles distant.  Continuing, she escorted USS Pontiac towards Boston entering the swept channel at 9856 [sic] and leaving at 1645 en route Curtis Bay Yard, mooring there on the 26th.  She remained in drydock until the end of November.

Remaining at Curtis Bay until the 9th of December, 1942, Campbell departed for Boston at 1643 and arrived there at 2038.  She departed Boston on the 13th proceeding to Argentia, escorting USS Saturn, arriving on the 15th.  Proceeding to St. John's on the 18th she departed for Iceland on the 17th, losing 300 pound depth charge in a heavy sea on the 18th, with the barometer low and falling and the ship icing up in a heavy, very rough sea, in which three more depth charges were reported lost overboard and a man standing on the main deck appeared to go over the side.  The engines were stopped, the ship swung to starboard and a small life raft thrown overboard.  Following this, two gasoline drums were washed overboard and the #4 boat struck by heavy seas, lifted from the chocks and carried inboard, where its propeller and shaft were bent.  At 1600, with the wind at whole gale force, seas were very rough, the barometer falling to 27.90, with snow squalls and visibility 500 yards, all searchlights were inoperative due to icing.  On the 19th water-lights secured to depth charges were ignited by the heavy sea and a life raft broke loose.  With the barometer at 27.76 there were snow squalls and heavy seas and No. 3 lifeboat was knocked out of its cradle by the sea.  At 1230 the wind moderated to strong gale force and by 1700 to fresh SSW gale with intermittent snow squalls.  On the 20th there were occasional snow squalls with a rising barometer as Campbell entered Reykjavik Harbor.

On the 28th of December, 1942, she was underway escorting a seven-vessel, west-bound convoy ONSJ-156 with three escorts under CTU 24.6.5, the cutter Duane (WPG-33) acting as flagship.  On the 30th she joined the main body of ONS-156, being detached from TU 24.6.5 and becoming a member of escort group TU 24.1.3 with Spencer as flagship.  Heavy weather was encountered on the 5th of January, 1943, and ten red flares were sighted which were unexplainable.  During a very rough sea and occasional rain squalls on the 6th the convoy became badly scattered and Campbell challenged an unidentified ship which did not answer correctly, claimed the name SS Mosdale bound independently from Liverpool to Halifax.  The vessel was instructed to join the convoy.  On the 8th Campbell was relieved of escort duty to proceed to Navy Yard, Boston, independently.  Investigations of sound and radar searches on the 10th she received an echo hearing 2300, range 2800.  As the target was classified as a possible submarine, she attacked, firing the three starboard "K" guns, the starboard mousetrap and later three small depth charges and four mousetraps.  Sighting Cape Cod and Cape Ann lights early on the 11th, she grounded between buoy #3 and Castle Island at 0736.  She refloated five hours later and proceeded up Boston Harbor.

On the 16th of January, 1943 Campbell stood out of Boston, proceeding to Base Roger in company with the Spencer, mooring on the 18th.  Proceeding on the 13th with Spencer she joined convoy HX-223 en route to the British Isles.  On the 21st she went to the assistance of ship No. 123, SS City of Lyons, in trouble and straggling, and proceeded to screen her.  The ship had been in collision and was taking water in the fore peak and #1 and #2 holds.  Later her steering engine became inoperative.  On the 22nd, the straggler set her course for St. Johns.  Rejoining the convoy, Campbell was unable to keep her position because of heavy seas and wind.  Heavy weather continued through the 24th with the convoy badly scattered.   Ship No. 75, SS Kollbjorg, split in half in the rough seas.  The Ingham with five other escorts and 25 merchant vessels of the convoy were 35 miles west on the 25th.  The convoy was not brought together until the 25th.  On the 27th 14 vessels and two escorts departed en route Reykjavik.  On the 29th the convoy was again scattered by gale winds, Campbell rounding up ships by radar contacts.  At 2215 she was detached and proceeded to Londonderry.  Here the strong current in the Foyle River caused her to ground for a short period before docking on the 31st.

The Campbell remained at Londonderry until 10 February, 1943, when she proceeded down river and effected a rendezvous with convoy ON-166 on the 12th.  She returned to Lough Foyle for calibration of her HF/DF but was underway on the 13th, rejoining the convoy on the 14th.  The U-604 located and reported the position of ON-166 on 20 February and U-boat command routed at least fourteen other U-boats to intercept.  On the 21st Campbell intercepted several U-boat transmissions and during the ensuing search down the bearings, echo and sound contacts were made.  The cutter released 10 large and 11 small depth charges early in the afternoon and nine each of the large and small in the evening.  The afternoon contact was at 900 yards and after the attack at 1331 the target moved slowly to the left and then rapidly to the right.  An 11-charge pattern was set at 100-150 feet with no visible results.  Two minutes later the cutter delivered three charges from the starboard throwers set at 250-300 feet, since Campbell was believed to be passing astern of the target.  Again no results. 

At 1338 the range was opened to 1,500 yards for another approach.  Double and triple echoes were now obtained, indicating a wake or bubble screen, and the target motion was away and to the right, so a lead of 15° to the right was taken and a 10-charge pattern set to 200-300 feet, fired without visible results.  In the evening at 1917, while investigating a smoke float from a plane, a sound contact was obtained at 2,000 yards, lost at 900 yards and regained at 1,100 yards.  A lead was taken at 500 yards.  The bearing did not move down the side fast enough so 10 degree more lead was taken, being all that the time allowed, and a nine-charge pattern set to 200-300 feet was fired. No. 1 and No. 6 throwers misfired.  A reverse run to the area revealed an odor of diesel oil, indicating possible damage to the submarine.  On regaining contact at 1,700 yards, a lead was taken to the left where the target was drawing at 800 yards then the contact was lost, indicating a turn, but too late to correct the course, so a nine-charge barrage was fired without visible results. The search was then abandoned.

During the next day, 22 February 1943, the Norwegian tanker SS Nielsen Alonso was torpedoed and dead in the water astern of the convoy and the escort commander, as the convoy's rescue vessel, Stockport, was occupied, ordered Campbell to the tanker's assistance.  Arriving in the vicinity of the tanker, Campbell found her still afloat and in no apparent danger of sinking.  She rescued the 50 surviving crewmen who had taken to their lifeboats.  One-half hour after setting course and steaming back towards the convoy, Hirschfield learned that the merchant sailors had not destroyed their confidential publications and these documents were still on board the abandoned wreck.  The Campbell then obtained permission to return to the tanker and ensure the destruction of those documents.  As they once again approached the still floating tanker, the men watched as a torpedo exploded against the Norwegian's hull.  After dodging a torpedo believed to have been fired at Campbell, lookouts spotted a surfaced U-boat in the distance and the cutter got underway and prepared to attack.  The U-boat crash dived after being illuminated by one of Campbell's searchlights but the cutter's sonar operator quickly picked up her echo.  The cutter commenced a devastating depth charge attack, bringing some debris and oil to the surface but they were unable to regain contact.

The Campbell then returned to the wreck of the Nielsen Alonso and opened up with her deck guns, igniting the tanker's bridge in the area where Alonso's commanding officer reported the documents to be.  Urgent requests for assistance from the convoy convinced Hirschfield that he needed to get back but by now the convoy was nearly 40 miles away and the cutter's 271 search radar was inoperative due to the vibrations caused by the many depth charge explosions.  The radar technicians, led by CRM Benjamin Stelmasczyk, were able to get the radar operative again.  

As the cutter continued to close the convoy's assumed position, a periscope appeared 20 yards off Campbell's port bow and passed rapidly down the port side.  The conning officer watched the boil of the submarine's screws and fired five charges set 150-200 feet by eye to straddle the estimated position of the submarine, which appeared to run straight into the exploding depth charge from the #4 thrower.  Three surges of water were seen after the explosion upheaval but no evidence of damage.  Ten minutes later a sound contact was made at 700 yards, was approached and attacked with 14 charges set at 150-250 feet.  Again no evidence of damage.  Nine minutes later the contact was regained at 800 yards which was classified as depth charge turbulence and no charges were dropped.  Eleven minutes later a faint echo was picked up at 500 yards, a lead to the left was taken, and two charges set to 150-250 feet dropped without visible results.  As Hirschfield noted in his action report, "Contact could not be reestablished.  Therefore after searching until 1210, again set course to rejoin convoy.  During 0800 to 1200 watch there were numerous HF/DF bearings thus indicating the convoy was in for a big party. . ."

At 1220 the sonar picked up another echo that was classified as a submarine and Campbell twice attacked with four depth charges each time without results.  At 1402 another U-boat was sighted but quickly dived when she sighted the cutter.  After a fruitless 45 minute search Campbell once again got underway to join the convoy.

Unsure of the convoy's exact position, at 1926 lookouts noticed starshells and gunfire flashes over ten miles away, indicating the convoy's position and the fact that it was still under attack.  As Campbell closed ON-166, at 2015 a radar contact was made at 4,600 yards and approached at 18 knots.  A submarine was sighted on the starboard bow and full right rudder was ordered so as to close her.  As she passed down the side of the submarine, Campbell let go with two depth charges that detonated directly beneath the U-boat.  The cutter, however, collided with the U-boat and the U-boat's bow-plane sliced through the cutter's hull, flooding the engine room and killing all power on board Campbell.  During this time gunfire from the cutter's three-inch and 20mm weapons riddled the submarine.  The cutter's five-inch guns could not depress far enough for them to be put into use but it did not matter as the submarine "was ours," according to Hirschfield.  The U-boat's crew was seen to be jumping overboard, with none of the Germans attempting to man the U-boat's deck guns.  Hirschfield ordered his men to cease-fire and ordered one of the Campbell's boats to be launched to secure prisoners.

The Campbell's pulling boat was then successfully launched, under the command of LT Arthur Pfeiffer, and they were able to rescue five of the U-606's survivors.  Hirschfield ordered the motor launch into action to save more prisoners and attempt to board or salvage the U-boat.  The boarding team had been trained by the Royal Navy, while the cutter was in Londonderry, for just such an occurrence.  Unfortunately, as they boarded the power launch, one of the men lowering the boat lost his grip, dropping one end of the launch into the sea and dumping the team into the Atlantic.  The other boat fall let go as well and the launch, now filled with water, capsized and drifted away, with the boarding team hanging on to the upturned craft.  They were all saved later.

The submarine was the U-606, which may have been attacked with depth charges from the Polish destroyer ORP Burza and seriously damaged earlier in the evening--forcing the U-boat to surface.  The Burza had opened fire on the surfaced submarine but then lost visual contact in the darkness and drizzle, and her crew assumed the U-boat had submerged.  The Campbell came upon the U-boat soon after the Burza's attack, due primarily to the fact that her radar was once again functioning.

The Burza was then ordered to take the Campbell in tow, but because of the risks involved of proceeding without screen it was decided to await further assistance.  On the 23rd some 120 members of the Campbell's crew were transferred to Burza as well as 50 Nielsen Alonso survivors as the remaining crew attempted to patch the gash in the hull.  The Burza remained to guard the Campbell until the arrival of the British tug Tenacity on the 26th.  The Tenacity took her in tow and with two British escorts as screens, proceeded to St. John's where they arrived on the 3rd of March 1943.  On the 15th, after the openings in her hull had been closed she was towed to Argentia where she underwent repairs until the 19th of May, 1943.

The Campbell departed for Boston on 19 May 1943, having one sound contact en route which proved to be non-submarine, and moored there on the 20th.  On the 25th she proceeded to New York.  On the 29th she stood out of New York harbor as an escort to convoy UGS-9, being a member of Task Force [TF] 69.  Keeping the convoyed vessels from making smoke and leaving oil slicks, she screened one vessel while it took another in tow and investigated ships that had broken down and were straggling.  Frequently carrier based planes were observed as escorts, one of which attacked a submarine 19 miles away, another returning to the carrier safely after being hit by submarine shell fire.  On the 12th she screened two convoy vessels that had been in collision, and later picked up a man overboard from another.  Her doctor gave medical advice to patients from several convoyed vessels. She anchored in Casablanca Harbor on 15 June 1943.

On 21 June 1943, Campbell was underway as an escort to convoy UGS-8A in company with Duane and five Navy vessels.  Another Bizerte section joined, making the total number of ships 143.  Many of the convoyed vessels carried prisoners of war.  On the 28th two of the Navy escorts dropped depth charges on sound contacts but without results.  The Campbell had a sound contact on the 28th and a radar contact on the 29th, both of which proved to be non- sub.  On 5 July 1943, a lookout sighted what appeared to be a white feather wake about a mile distant and the cutter made a complete box sweep without results.  Later that day a Navy escort dropped depth charges on a sound contact and Campbell, with two Navy escorts, conducted a sweep for an hour without results.  On the 6th a radar contact at 19,000 yards was thought to be probably a rain squall.  A doubtful contact on the 7th was classified non-submarine.  On the 8th 27 vessels escorted by five Navy vessels escorted by Campbell, Duane, Spencer and one Navy escort headed for New York, where the Campbell anchored on the 10th.

Getting underway to Norfolk on the 26th of July, 1943, Campbell stood out of Norfolk on the 27th as part of TF 64 in company with three Navy escorts accompanying convoy UGS-13 to Casablanca.  On the 28th she made a one mile box search of a contact reported by a Navy escort without results.  On the 29th the convoy was badly scattered throughout the first watch due to bad weather and on the 30th the cutter fell back 30 miles, screening two of the convoyed vessels with water in their fuel.  Numerous sound contacts were investigated which proved to be non-sub, and stragglers who had fallen back due to bad weather were instructed to close their positions.  On the 7th of August a Navy escort dropped depth charges on a sound contact and the Campbell joined her in a box search without result.  On the 13th of August she moored at Casablanca.

On 19 August 1943, Campbell stood out of Casablanca Harbor as part of TF 64 en route to Gibraltar, arriving on the 20th, and departing the same day escorting the convoy GUS-12, bound for New York.  On the 21st a Navy escort dropped a pattern of charges with no further developments and when another Navy escort dropped out of convoy with an engine breakdown Campbell screened her and next day sent two technicians to her to advise her, the escorts rejoining the convoy later that day.  On the 26th a Navy escort reported sighting a submarine and another Navy escort joined her in the search.  On 3 September 1943, the Norfolk section departed with four escorts and the New York section, with the Campbell, as one of the escorts, continued arriving at New York on the 5th.  The Campbell proceeded to Boston, with Duane and Spencer, where she moored on the 6th at the Navy Yard Annex to undergo repairs.  She proceeded to Casco Bay, Maine, on the 17th of September, where she conducted drills and exercises for the remainder of the month.

Leaving Casco Bay on 1 October 1943, Campbell escorted the U. S. submarine S-16 to area M-2 for anti-sub exercises and the next day stood out of Casco Bay for Norfolk, in company with Duane arriving on the 4th.  The next day she departed Norfolk as part of TF 65, escorting convoy UGS-20 to Casablanca in company with Duane and 7 Navy escorts.  On the 7th, at 0445, she had a sound contact at 1,000 yards which proved positive and dropped a full pattern of depth charges.  The recorder trace showed the target to be a probable sub on which she had scored a near hit, but no evidence of debris appeared in the area after daylight.  On the 12th she conducted a sound search along an oil slick that paralleled the convoy's course at a distance of about 7,000 yards but with no results.  On the 12th she had a sound contact identified as probable submarine and dropped a full pattern of depth charges.  She regained the contact, lost it, and regaining it made a hedgehog attack at reduced speed.  Five minutes later a whale was sighted on the bearing.  On the 20th, the Casablanca section of 10 ships departed the main convoy and on the 21st Campbell moored at Casablanca. 

On 29 October 1943, Campbell was standing out of Casablanca as part of TF 65, escorting the Casablanca section of convoy GUS-19, joining the main section at 1355.  On the 30th planes covering the convoy were sighted.  A contact was made on the 31st and identified as fish.  Another contact on 2 November was identified likewise.  On the 5th a seaman was transferred from one of the convoyed vessels by stretch stretcher rig for medical treatment.   A number of contacts made on the 6th and 7th proved to be fish or non-sub.  On the 8th a shallow pattern of depth charges was fired after a suspicious radar contact was made at 0412 at a distance of 6,000 yards.  On the 13th the convoy divided, Campbell being assigned to the Norfolk-Delaware Section.  On the 15th, while escorting this section, she made a contact at 2,700 yards and dropped a full pattern of depth charges.  A second pattern was not fired at the regained contact when it was lost but 20 minutes later a hedgehog was fired after a completed box search before rejoining the convoy.  Discharged from escort duty on entering New York swept channel Campbell proceeded to Boston through the Cape Cod Canal on the 16th and moored there at 0813.

On 29 November 1943, the Campbell was underway in company with Duane to Guantanamo Bay as escort to a convoy of two vessels with SC-1281 as additional escort proceeding to San Juan, here she moored on the 7th.  She was in Navy Dry Dock, San Juan until the 11th repairing a ruptured sound dome and on the 12th, departed San Juan for Guantanamo Bay arriving on the 13th.  On the 14th departed for Trinidad, B. V. I. as escort of convoy GAT-105.  On the 18th, three merchant ships from Curacao joined.  At 1125 a full pattern of depth charges was dropped on a contact at 1,800 yards.  Another contact an hour later was classified non-sub.  On the 20th the convoy formed a single column for passing through Boca de Navios and moored at Trinidad.  On the 25th Campbell commenced patrolling off Boca do Navios as the convoy TAG-105 came out and formed up.  A contact on the 29th proved to be non-sub as was another four hours later.  On the 30th the cutter having detached two merchant ships for Guantanano Bay and one for Manati, was relieved of escort duty and on the 31st conducted a sound search south of St. Nicholas Mole, Haiti, returning to Guantanamo Bay at 1740.

On 14 January 1944, Campbell departed Guantanamo Bay and relieving the escorts of convoy NG-407, began forming a Task Group of five escorts for the 19 ship convoy GAT-109.  On the 7th two ships from Curacao joined as did the Aruba section of seven ships and three escorts.  On the 10th the convoy passed through Bocas del Dragon and moored at Trinidad.  On.the 19th she left Trinidad with 14 escorts and convoy TAG-110.  A contact which proved to be non-sub was investigated.  Twelve ships from Curacao joined on the 21st as well as five ships from Aruba.  On the 24th SS Bethore was out of control due to a broken steam line and was screened by Campbell, after being relieved of escort duty.  The cutter's doctor attended a man wounded by the mishap, arriving at Guantanamo Bay on the 25th.

The Campbell and six escorts accompanied convoy GAT-114 which left Guantanamo Bay on the 29th of January 1944.  Vessels from Aruba and Curacao joined on the let of February.  On the 3rd she had a contact classified as possible submarine and fired a full depth charge pattern and instituted a standard search.  The contact proved to be non-sub.  She moored at Trinidad on the 4th.  On the 5th she escorted SS Belle Isle to Puerto Rico and on the 7th departed for Norfolk.  She arrived on the 10th at Portsmouth Navy Yard and underwent overhaul and replacement until the 20th of February, 1944.

The Campbell left Norfolk on the 23rd of February 1944, to screen ahead of convoy UGS-34 as flagship of TF 61 with 15 escort vessels.  On 1 March carrier- based fighter planes covered the convoy.  On 6 March a man wearing a life ring, who had fallen overboard from one of the convoyed vessels, was picked up and returned to his ship.  On the same day the cutter dropped a full depth charge pattern on a target classified as a submarine.  The convoy executed 45-degree emergency turns and USS Cockrill (DE-398) made two depth charge attacks after reporting sighting a periscope.  The USS Cole (DD-155) remained to search the area.  Extra lookouts were posted and an extra gun crew was put in standby action.  Sweeps were conducted ahead of the convoy.  On the 8th air coverage was sighted.  On the 9th three vessels departed the convoy.  On the 10th a doubtful contact was attacked by two of the escorts.  On the same day, at Gibraltar, TF 61 was relieved by an English task force, and proceeded to Casablanca on the 11th where it moored until the 16th.

Standing out of Casablanca on the 17th Campbell joined convoy GUS-33 as flagship of 11 escorts of TF 61.  On the 18th an escort dropped charges and remained with the contact half an hour.  The escorts took turns of IFF and SG radar guard.  On the 23rd a radar contact proved to be a Swedish vessel traveling independently.  On the 29th two escorts were assigned to screen two vessels, one in tow when the the tow line parted.  Air coverage was received on the 30th and 31st.  On 2 April the Chesapeake Bay section detached and later the Delaware Bay departed.  On 3 April nine fast ships of the New York section detached to proceed independently and later that day Campbell anchored off Staten Island.

After undergoing ten days of repairs and alterations at Brooklyn Navy Yard, Campbell carried out anti-submarine exercises until 20 April 1944, when she proceeded with other vessels of TF 61 to Norfolk.  On the 23rd she commenced screening ahead of convoy UGS-40 as flagship of TF 61, air coverage being received until the 27th.  The Oran section of the convoy departed on 7 May and the Casablanca section on the 8th.  The cutter dropped a five-charge shallow pattern on a contact that day but failed to regain contact.  Air coverage was received from the 7th until the 12th.  Sound contacts were attacked by two escorts on the 9th and Campbell dropped a four charge pattern on a contact later classified as non-sub.  Later that day the convoy passed through the Straits of Gibraltar.  

On the 10th the Task Force was augmented to 13 escorts.  Enemy aircraft warnings were received six time that day without any aircraft being sighted.  On the 11th a make screen us laid and an air attack by five to ten planes declared imminent.  The Campbell commenced a fixed barrage at 2107 on bearings reported by radar, the target not then being in sight.  When a wave of 12 to 15 planes forward of the port beam in line with this barrage, they were found to be below the bursts and the angle was adjusted accordingly.  The plane attack lasted 30 minutes and consisted of 14 waves.  One enemy plane was observed to go down to Campbell's gunfire and three were damaged.   In all 11 enemy planes were shot down by the convoy and escorts.  A 19 knot speed was maintained during the attack and the cutter maneuvered radically.  One torpedo passed close astern and two others came near.  The attacking planes were JU-88s.  None of the escorts or convoy ships suffered casualties.  On the 12th four embarrassing depth charges were dropped on a contact. On 13 May the Task Force was relieved and Campbell proceeded to Bizerte.

The Campbell proceeded independently on 21 May 1944, to close GUS-40 as flagship of TF 61, relieving the British escort.  Air coverage was received daily until the 27th.  On the 23rd, the Algiers section joined and on the 24th the Oran section.  The Casablanca section joined on the 26th and on that day Campbell dropped two embarrassing charges on a contact classified as non-sub.   On the 30th another escort charged a doubtful contact, and several others were investigated.  On 3 June 1944, one vessel detached for the Netherlands, West Indies, and air coverage was received on the 5th and 7th, when the Chesapeake section departed.  After dropping a five-charge embarrassing pattern on the 7th Campbell  regained contact and then sighted a whale on the same bearing.   On the 8th the Delaware section departed and on the 9th of June Campbell entered New York Harbor with the remainder of the convoy.

After 10 days at the Brooklyn Navy Yard for repairs and replacements Campbell proceeded to Casco Bay, Maine, on the 20th of June 1944, and remained there until the 29th for drills and exercises.  She proceeded to Norfolk on the 30th.  On 14 July she got underway as flagship of TF 61 escorting convoy UGS-47.  Air coverage was received from the 14th to the 8th of July.  From time to time during the trip various escort vessels were absent from their regular stations conducting drills and exercises, screening merchant vessels that dropped astern, giving medical assistance to convoyed ships or diverting vessels from entering the convoy.  Several sound contacts were investigated and depth charges dropped.  Vessels from the Azores joined on 14 July.  Air coverage was received on 17th and 18th of July.  Vessels from Gibraltar joined on the 19th.  On the 20th ships joined from Algiers and Bone and on the 22nd the British convoy commodore relieved the U. S. commodore.  The convoy passed through the Tunisian War Channel on the 23rd and moored at Bizerte.

Standing out of Bizerte on the 30th of July 1944, Campbell, as flagship of TF 61, relieved the British escort of convoy GUS-47.  On 1 August 1944, ships bound for Algiers departed and vessels from that port joined.   On the 3rd ships left for Casablanca and others from that port joined.  A U. S. Liberator furnished air coverage on the 14th.  One vessel detached on the 7th for Angra and two on the 13th.  Air coverage was received on the 14th and 15th.  The Chesapeake section of the convoy departed on the 16th.  The Campbell, after proceeding up the New York swept channel with the convoy on the 17th, reversed course and proceeded to Navy Yard Annex, Boston, where she remained on availability through the 28th of August, proceeding to Casco Bay to hold exercises until 7 September 1944.

Proceeding independently to Norfolk on the 8th of September, she received camouflage paint.  On the 12th she stood out of Chesapeake Bay as flagship of TF 61 accompanying UGS-54.  While some of the escorts screened stragglers, two made an embarrassing attack on a contact on the 17th.  A neutral vessel with lights encountered proved to be a man-of-war.  On the 28th vessels joined from and departed for Casablanca.  Next day the convoy passed through Gibraltar.  Vessels joined from and departed for Oran.  On 1 October 1944, as ships joined from Algiers, one of the escorts dropped an embarrassing charge on a doubtful contact.  On the 2nd, ships joined from and departed for Bone.  On the 3rd of October, Campbell and TF 61 were relieved and proceeded to Bizerte.  Later that day the cutter escorted a division to Palermo, Sicily, returning to Bizerte on 8 October 1944.

On the same day, 8 October 1944, Campbell, as flagship of TF 61, relieved the British senior escort of convoy GUS-54.  The Algiers contingent joined on the 10th and on the 11th a sound contact at 1,000 yards was investigated and an 11 charge pattern discharged.  On the 12th the Oran section joined and the Gibraltar section left.  Three vessels departed for Casablanca on the 13th and one vessel joined from the Azores on the 17th.  On the 24th, a PBY Catalina furnished air coverage.  The Chesapeake section of the convoy broke off on the 26th, with three escorts.  On the 28th Campbell proceeded up the New York channel with the convoy, reversed course and proceeded to Boston, where she remained at the South Boston Navy Yard Annex until 9 November 1944.

On 9 November, 1944, Campbell proceeded to Casco Bay, carrying on drills and exercises until the 16th when she proceeded independently to the Hampton Roads area, anchoring off Yorktown on the 17th.  On the 21st she stood down the Chesapeake Bay swept channel, assuming station as flagship of TF 61, escorting the convoy UGS-61.  Entering the Straits of Gibraltar on 7 December, she completed escort duties, with the convoyed ships proceeding independently to their destinations.  TF 61, with Campbell, moored at Mers-el-Kebir, Algiers on 8 December 1944.

On 13 December 1944, Campbell rendezvoused with convoy GUS-61, passing through Gibraltar the next day, with the Casablanca sector joining on the 15th.  On 27 December, the Chesapeake section of the convoy departed and on the 28th the Delaware vessels left.  The Campbell continued as flagship of TF 61 and on the 29th entered New York Harbor.  She then proceeded as guide with four escorts toward Boston and moored at South Boston Navy Yard Annex on 30 December 1944.

During January and February and until 28 March 1945 Campbell was at Boston Navy Yard undergoing conversion to an AGC [Amphibious Command & Control] vessel (her designation then changed to WAGC-32).  This was a combined operations, communications and headquarters ship.  On the 28th of March she departed for Hampton Roads, Virginia, arriving there on the 30th.  The next day she proceeded to York Spit Channel, to rendezvous with naval aircraft for training exercises.  After various drills and tests she moved to the Norfolk Navy Yard on 7 April,  and after repair work, to Norfolk proper on the 14th.  After exercises conducted until the 23rd, she moored at the convoy escort pier on 13 May 1945.

On May 13, 1945 she departed for Panama and proceeded through the canal next day and set course for San Diego.  She was now attached to the Pacific Fleet.  Reaching San Diego on the 27th she arrived at Pearl Harbor on 5 June 1945, and shifted to the submarine base for the installation of radio equipment and repairs.  She conducted training operations under DesPac [Destroyers, Pacific Fleet] until 24 July, 1945, when she departed for Saipan where she anchored on 3 August.  Departing Saipan on 10 August she anchored in Manila on the 25th.  She proceeded to Leyte on the 19th, arriving on the 22nd.

On 1 October, 1945, Campbell was anchored at Wakanoura Wan, Honshu, Japan, as flagship for Communications Service Division 103.  On the 30th she proceeded to Sasebo, mooring there on 1 November.  On 26 November she was ordered to proceed to San Diego and report to DCGO, 11th Naval District for further order.  She departed Sasebo on the 30th of November, via Midway, arriving at Pearl Harbor on 12 December, 1945.  She left Pearl Harbor on 15th mooring at San Diego on the 21st.  On the 23rd she proceeded to Charleston, via Panama, being underway at the end of the year from Balboa, Canal Zone.

The Campbell then underwent a reconversion back to her peacetime configuration, including the removal of the majority of her armament.  Her superstructure was cut back to her pre-war configuration as well, all in preparation for her to undertake what would become her primary peace-time task, as well as that of her sister 327s, that of operating on ocean-weather stations.  With the post-war boom in trans-Atlantic air traffic, the Coast Guard's operation of these weather stations became even more important and a number of newer stations were added further out to sea.  Here cutters, serving on these stations, carried personnel from the U.S. Weather Bureau, who would make daily meteorological observations and report their findings to the U.S. Weather Bureau.  They also served as a mid-ocean navigation aids, communications relay stations and as search and rescue platforms when needed.  The ocean station program was permanently established by multi-national agreement soon after the end of World War II.  The Coast Guard was then assigned the duty of manning those stations for which the U.S. accepted responsibility.  As the 327s completed conversion to ocean station vessels, each immediately deployed to their new stations.  The Taney (WPG-37) went to the Pacific while the other 327s remained in the Atlantic.

The Campbell completed her modifications in early May, 1946, and then sailed to her homeport of Brooklyn, New York, arriving there on 17 May, after first stopping over in Norfolk.  She was then redesignated as WPG-32.  The Campbell departed for duty on Weather Station Charlie, located about 825 miles east northeast of Argentia, on 10 June after first picking up supplies in Argentia.  There she remained on station until being relieved on 8 July 1946 and she then returned to Argentia.  She departed for Weather Station Charlie again on 25 July and remained on station until 18 August 1946.  For most of the next twenty years, Campbell alternated duty between weather stations Charlie, Bravo (250 miles northeast of Cape St. Charles, Labrador); Delta (located 650 miles southeast of Argentia); and Echo (850 miles east northeast of Bermuda).  Sometime later these became known as "ocean stations."  A press release from Campbell in 1966 describes what this duty was like:

26 November 1966 OCEAN STATION BRAVO: The Coast Guard Cutter CAMPBELL arrived in Staten Island, New York, after spending 20 stormy days in the North Atlantic--halfway between the coast of Labrador and the tip of Greenland--manning Ocean Station Bravo.  While on station [the] weather conditions were constantly poor due to the rapid movement of high and low pressure systems.  Daily the ship experienced 30-35 knot winds and seas ranging from 12-17 feet.  Approximately 75% of the time on station the ship was engulfed in rain or snow.  Ice did not present a problem due to the above freezing temperatures (38-42 degrees).  On November 5th the CAMPBELL provided services to the first Russian East-bound flight between Canada and the USSR.  The only problem encountered was the language barrier and although inconvenient it was not enough to prevent communications from being established.  Enroute New York, weather conditions improved and the trip back had every indication of being as peaceful as the trip to the station.  Approximately two days East of New York the CAMPBELL was diverted to assist the Tug CINTRA who had lost her tow of two 255-foot cable ships due to rough weather.  CAMPBELL was approximately 100 miles North West of CINTRA and immediately proceeded at best possible speed.  Upon arriving on the scene the CINTRA had one ship in tow and was proceeding to pick up the other stray--40 miles to the South East.  CAMPBELL escorted CINTRA and remained in the general area until the CINTRA indicated that Coast Guard assistance was no longer required.  CAMPBELL then set course for New York again and the remainder of the trip proved uneventful.

Also during these post-war years the Campbell conducted many search and rescue cases and sailed on cadet practice cruises.  Some of her search and rescue cases were especially noteworthy.  In 1956, Campbell participated in the rescue efforts following the collision between the SS Andrea Doria and the SS Stockholm.  In 1959, she directed a seven-day search in the Greenland ice fields for survivors of the Danish vessel Hans Hedtoft after that vessel was lost when she struck an iceberg.  Although the Campbell did not locate any survivors, her efforts during the search earned her and her crew the recognition of the Danish government.  On 21 April 1963, the motor vessel SS Helga Smith, located 50 miles southeast of Cape Race, with an uncontrollable leak, requested assistance.  After arrival on the scene, Campbell illuminated the area with its floodlights as the crew of Helga Smith used lifeboats to leave their flooded ship and board Campbell, which rescued the entire crew.  Two commercial tugs attempted to tow the disabled vessel to St. Johns, but she sank en route.  

Otherwise, she continued to carry out weather-ocean station patrols and cadet cruises annually while assisting vessels in distress when needed.  From 20 October to 8 November 1946 she served on Ocean Station Able and then on 22 November she assisted the SS Theodor Parker.  In mid-December 1946 she served on Ocean Station Echo.  She changed homeports in January 1947 to Stapleton, Staten Island, New York, where she served from until September of 1953.  On 7 March 1947 Campbell assisted the MV Lord Delaware and on 12 March she assisted the MV Josiah Macy, both cases occurring off New York.  From June to August of 1947 she served on a cadet practice cruise and from 31 January to 21 February of 1948 she served on Ocean Station Able.  From June to August 1948 she served on a cadet practice cruise and from 10 October to 1 November 1948 she served on Ocean Station Charlie.  The following year, 1949, she served on Ocean Station Able from 4 through 12 March and again from 15 to 25 March.  From June through August she served on a cadet practice cruise, visiting both European and African ports of call.  From 21 September to 23 November 1949 she served on Ocean Station Easy and from again on Easy from 14 December 1949 to 4 January 1950.

In 1950 Campbell served on Ocean Station Dog from 1 to 25 March.  She served on another cadet practice cruise from 4 June to 2 August 1951 and then served on Ocean Station Baker from from 27 October to 17 November 1951.  In 1952 she served on Ocean Station Able from 19 to 9 February 1952.  From 8 June to 6 September 1952 she sailed on a cadet cruise and, on 7 August, assisted the tanker SS Esso Brussels.  She served on Ocean Station Coca from 24 October to 13 November 1952.  From 1 to 31 January 1953 she served on Ocean Station Bravo and on 26 January 1953 she assisted the SS Dtrangajoekwill.  From 10 to 30 March that same year she served on Ocean Station Hotel and on 30 March she assisted the tug Marion Moran.  From 13 June to 3 July 1953 she served on Ocean Station Echo.  On 17 September 1953 she changed home ports to St. George, Staten Island, New York, where she served out of until 2 September 1969.

From 24 October to 13 November 1953 Campbell served on Ocean Station Delta.  From 14 to 18 November she stood by the disabled SS Empress Nene until a commercial tug arrived.  On 26 December of that same year she assisted the SS Oklahoma.  From 1 to 2 January 1954 she escorted the distressed USNS Nodaway from 46° 04' N x 54° 53' W to Argentia, Newfoundland.  On 5 January 1954 she medevaced a crewman from the CGC Casco (WAVP-370) and three days later she medevaced a crewman from the SS Dick Lykes and carried him to Argentia.  From 20 February to 12 March of 1954 she served on Ocean Station Coca and from March to April of the same year she served on Ocean Station Hotel.  She finished off 1954 by serving on Ocean Station Echo from 9 to the 30th of October 1954.

From 1 to 22 January of 1955 she served on Ocean Station Coca.  From 28 March to 8 April 1955 she served on Ocean Station Bravo and then that summer, from 27 May to 3 September 1955, she served on a cadet practice cruise, visiting Bermuda and various ports of call in Europe.  From 12 November to 2 December 1955 she served on Ocean Station Coca once again.  In 1956 she began by serving on Ocean Station Bravo from 27 January to 17 February.  From 9 June to 11 August 1956 she served on a cadet cruise through Caribbean waters.  She medevaced a patient from the SS Andrew Jackson on 14 September 1956.  From 18 September to 9 October 1956 she served on Ocean Station Charlie.  

The following year Campbell served on Ocean Station Echo from 16 January to 16 February.  From 9 to 30 April of 1957 she served on Ocean Station Bravo.  From 6 to 26 August of 1957 she served on Ocean Station Delta and served on Ocean Station Echo from 26 October to 15 November of that same year.  From 6 to 27 January of 1958 she served on Ocean Station Bravo.  On 30 August 1958 she assisted the disabled pleasure craft Golden Eye to safety.  On 29 October 1958 she medevaced a disabled crewman from the SS Amelie Thyssen.  From 4 to 24 November of that same year she served on Ocean Station Charlie.  From 19 January to 9 February of 1959 she served on Ocean Station Bravo.  As mentioned previously, she searched unsuccessfully for the missing Danish MV Hans Hedtoft which had struck and iceberg and presumably sank with a loss of all on board.  From 5 to 26 April of 1959, Campbell served on Ocean Station Delta.  From 20 June to 10 July of that same year she served on Ocean Station Charlie and from 12 October to 3 November of 1959 she served on Ocean Station Echo.  She closed out the year 1959 by serving on Ocean Station Bravo from 1 to 21 December.  On 23 December 1959 she stood by the disabled MV Regina until a commercial tug arrived.

From 29 April to 21 May of 1960 Campbell served on Ocean Station Charlie.  On 10 May 1960 she transferred two medics to the MV Empress and on 27 May medevaced a patient from the MV Avafors.  From 18 July to 8 August 1960 she served on Ocean Station Bravo and on 18 August she assisted the MV Donna Rae.  In January of 1962 she served on Ocean Station Echo and in July of that same year she served on Ocean Station Charlie.  On 2 August 1962 she medevaced a crewman from the MV Sommersworth.  She medevaced a crewman from the MV Amphitrite.  In April of 1963 Campbell served on Ocean Station Echo and as mentioned previously she rescued the crew of the sinking MV SS Helga Smith.  

On 1 May 1965 the Treasury class vessels were re-designated as High Endurance Cutters or WHEC. This designation indicated a multi-mission ship able to operate at sea for 30-45 days without support and Campbell was then re classified as WHEC-32.  In February and March of 1967 she served on Ocean Station Echo.  The Campbell was then assigned to join Coast Guard Squadron Three, which consisted of high endurance cutters that were participating in the Navy's Operation Market Time interdiction effort in the waters off Vietnam.  After finishing refresher training at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in October and November, 1967, Campbell set sail for Southeast Asia, arriving in Vietnamese waters in January 1968, after transiting the Panama Canal and making stops at Hawaii, Guam, and the Philippines.

Here, her missions were varied, as noted by her commanding officer at the time, CAPT R. B. Long, Jr., in a monthly newsletter he wrote to the family of Campbell crewmen:

The primary mission of our first patrol was to patrol a barrier line and prevent the landing of contraband from seaward.  To accomplish this we inspected many junks, sampans, fishing trawlers, and cargo boats, boarding and searching those that appeared suspicious. . .A secondary mission called for us to furnish logistic support to a small Navy patrol boat known as a 'Swift Boat.'  The Swift Boat had two crews, with the off-duty crew remaining aboard the CAMPBELL.  Each day we would rendezvous and furnish fuel, food, ammunition, and exchange crews. . .Another mission performed was the furnishing of gunfire support to U.S. Army units ashore in the area where we patrolled. . .One of the most active of all our jobs has been replenishing ourselves.  The Navy calls this 'UNREP' for underway replenishment.  Under this title we meet an oiler, cargo, or ammunition ship, parallel his course, speed, and then replenish our store of food, fuel, or ammunition. . .Our last unofficial mission of our patrol was accomplished by Doctor William D. O'Donnell, USPHS, our ship's doctor.  During the patrol, Doctor O'Donnell went ashore with local advisors and liaison officers and held clinic in several Vietnamese towns for the local population.  During these clinics he examined and treated over 500 men, women, and children.

The Campbell was one of five cutters and seven Navy DERs assigned to Task Unit 70.8.5.  She rotated duty with these other vessels patrolling in Vietnamese waters, these patrols lasting upwards of 30 days, serving on the Taiwan patrol, for periods of up to 28 days, and ending her assignment serving as the station ship for U.S. naval forces in Hong Kong.  She also visited Sasebo, Japan, Subic Bay, Philippines, and Sattahip, Thailand, for upkeep, maintenance and recreation.  During Campbell's 11-month tour of duty, she spent 113 days on station off the coast of the Republic of Vietnam.  She steamed over 48,000 miles during her deployment, including 32,570 miles on patrol, and conducted hundreds of boardings.  Her gun crews fired 1,600 rounds of five-inch ammunition during 15 naval gunfire support missions against enemy positions, destroying or damaging 105 Viet Cong structures.  She replenished 48 times with 24 different Navy vessels and supported 20 different Swift Boats with two crews on each boat, replenishing these craft over 100 times.  Campbell also replenished Coast Guard 82-foot patrol boats as well.  Her medical staff provided care to Vietnamese civilians in a number of villages and her crew assisted the Girls' School for the Blind in Saigon.

While on patrol in Vietnamese waters on 16 June 1968, one of the Navy's Swift Boats that Campbell serviced, USS PCF-19, came under attack and was sunk, killing five of her seven-man crew.  Soon thereafter, Campbell departed for Hong Kong, arriving there on 11 July 1968, where she served as the station ship for US Seventh Fleet vessels visiting the port.  She completed that duty on 31 July 1968 and departed for Subic Bay and then for home.  When she was departing Subic Bay, she located a Philippine inter-island cargo outrigger, the Carmelita, that was in distress and towed her to safety.  She then sailed east, stopping at Guam, Honolulu, Long Beach, and Acapulco, before arriving at Governors Island, New York, in mid-September 1968.

The Campbell then returned to her traditional peace-time duties of sailing on ocean stations and conducting search and rescue operations, as well as sailing on cadet practice cruises.  On 1 September 1969, she changed homeports to Portland, Maine.  One day after her arrival in Portland, 5 November 1969, she deployed on the search for survivors of the tanker SS Keo, which had broken in two in heavy seas.  For five days, Campbell directed the search efforts of 11 ships and 13 aircraft.  Although no survivors were found, the Keo search was one of the most intensive search and rescue efforts in Coast Guard history.  During the summer of 1970, she served as the flagship of a squadron of cutters composed of herself, Castle Rock (WHEC-383), and Vigorous (WMEC-627), that engaged in a seven-week Coast Guard Academy Cadet Practice Cruise.  

For the next four years, Campbell alternated duty on ocean stations Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and Echo.  From 1 to 23 January 1969 she served on Ocean Station Bravo.  From 11 May to 3 June and again from 26 June to 19 July of that same year she patrolled Ocean Station Echo.  The Campbell was then transferred to her new homeport of Portland, Maine, effective 2 September 1969.  She sailed from Portland until transferred once again in June of 1974.  From 23 November to 16 December of 1969 she served on Ocean Station Charlie.  She served on Ocean Station Bravo from 16 February to 11 March 1970.  From 21 April to 14 May 1970 she served on Ocean Station Echo and the following year, from 18 February to 13 March, she again served on Ocean Station Bravo.  

During the summer of 1971, from 20 June to 14 July, Campbell served on Ocean Station Charlie.  From 25 August to 18 September 1971 she served on Ocean Station Bravo and then from 7 November to 1 December 1971 she serve on Ocean Station Delta.  From 10 January to 3 February 1972 she served on Ocean Station Delta once again and from 25 March to 20 April 1972 she served on Ocean Station Echo.  From 2 to 26 June 1972 she served on Ocean Station Delta.  The Campbell then served on Ocean Station Echo from 7 to 29 January 1973.  From 27 March to 17 April of 1973 served on Ocean Station Bravo.

With the coming demise of the ocean station program, primarily due to advances in navigation and communication technology, Campbell was the last cutter to serve on Ocean Station Delta.  She "decommissioned" that ocean station on 30 June 1973 when she departed to return to her homeport of Portland after patrolling at Delta for 34 days, arriving home on 4 July 1973.  From 16 October to 6 November she served on Ocean Station Charlie and her final ocean station patrol occurred on Ocean Station Hotel, which she patrolled from 18 December 1973 to 11 January 1974.  

The mid-1970s were a period of transition for the Coast Guard with the passage of the Fisheries Conservation and Management Act and the nation's shift towards increased interdiction of narcotics smugglers.  These operations called for off-shore patrols of up to three weeks and became the emphasis for the Coast Guard's high endurance cutter fleet.  The Campbell was then  transferred to Port Angeles, Washington, on 20 February 1974 and this remained her homeport until she was decommissioned.  Here she conducted search and rescue and law enforcement operations as well as participating in a number of oceanography assignments.  In January 1977 she conducted a survey of currents in the Gulf of Alaska and surveyed the waters there again in January 1978.  

The Campbell was decommissioned on 1 April 1982 and was sunk as a target by the U.S. Navy on 29 November 1984 in the waters off Hawaii.

Decorations & Awards:

Presidential Unit Citation
American Campaign Medal
World War II Victory Medal
China Service Medal
American Defense Service Medal
European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal w/ four battle stars
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal w/ four battle stars
Navy Occupation Service Medal
Philippine Liberation Ribbon w/ two battle stars
Meritorious Unit Citation w/ Gallantry Cross w/ Palm
National Defense Service Medal w/ one battle star
Philippine Presidential Unit Citation
Vietnam Campaign
Vietnam Service Medal w/ two battle stars
Republic of Vietnam Armed Forces

Commanding Officers:

CDR E.G. Rose, 1936
CDR R.L. Lucas, 1936-1939
CDR J. Greenspun, 1939-1941
CDR D. C. McNeil, 1941-1942
CDR J. A. Hirschfield, 1942-1945
CDR S. F. Gray, 1945
CAPT M. F. Garfield, 1945-1947
CAPT O. C. Rohnke, 1947-1948
CAPT B. Jordan, 1948-1949
CAPT H. J. Wuensch, 1950-1952
CAPT T. J. Fabik, 1952-1954
CAPT G. R. Leslie, 1954-1956
CAPT H. R. Chafee, 1956-1957
CAPT F. J. Scheiber, 1957-1959
CAPT R. Wilcox, 1959-1961
CAPT J. B. Latimer, 1961-1963
CAPT P. E. Burhorst, 1963-1966
CAPT R. H. Banner, 1966-1967
CAPT R. B. Long, 1967-1969
CAPT S. M. Shuman, 1969-1971
CAPT D. G. Howland, 1971-1973
CDR R. Z. Delgiorno, 1973-1974
CDR A. J. Hagstrom, 1974-1976
CDR J. L. Shanower, 1976-1977
CAPT R. H. Wight, 1977-1979
CAPT D. F. Cunningham, 1979-1981
CDR R. W. Wright, 1981-1982


Campbell Cutter File, US Coast Guard Historian's Office.

The Coast Guard at War V: Transports and Escorts. Part I [Escorts].  Washington, DC: U.S. Coast Guard, 1 March 1949. 

Robert Scheina.  U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II.  Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.

Robert Scheina.  U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft, 1946-1990.  Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1990.

Research by CAPT Donald Taub, USCG (Ret.) & his correspondence with Robert M. Morgenthau (son of Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau); copies in Campbell file, USCG Historian's Office archive.