Alleghany, 1942 (WIX), USS Alleghany
Builder: Federal Shipbuilding Company, Kearny, New Jersey
Length: 350' 7"
Beam: 52' 1"
Displacement: 14,460 (fl)
Cost: ? Launched: 1923
Commissioned: 21 May 1942 (USCG)
Decommissioned: 31 August 1941
Disposition: Returned to the Maritime Service
Machinery: 1 4-cylinder triple-expansion steam engine; 2,700 IHP; single propeller
Complement: 125 "administrative personnel"; 400 trainees
Alleghany was a former coastal passenger-cargo vessel taken over by the Maritime Service from her owners, Merchants & Miners Transportation Company, (along with her sister-ship Berkshire), and was turned over to the Coast Guard for the training of merchant mariners. She was returned to the jurisdiction of the Maritime Commission on 31 August 1942.
Cutter History File, Coast Guard Historian’s Office.
Robert Scheina, U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II (Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1982), pp. 21-24.