YNT-25; later-USS Adario
Zizania aquatica: perennial aquatic grass of North America bearing grain used for food
Builder: Ramsey & Son, Baltimore, Maryland
Length: 161' (oa)
Draft: 9' 6"
Displacement: 643 tons
Commissioned: 12 November 1888
Decommissioned: 18 November 1924
Disposition: Sold on 15 January 1925; civilian service; taken over by USN during WWII where she served as a net tender; returned to civilian use after the war until 1951.
Machinery: 2 x double expansion steam engines; 2 shafts
Complement: 5 officers, 16 men (1907)
Zizania entered commissioned service in 1888 and first served in the Fourth Lighthouse District out of Wilmington, North Carolina. In July of 1913 she transferred to Portland, Maine and served in the First Lighthouse District. She performed ice-breaking duties during the winter of 1917-1918.
She was decommissioned and sold in 1924.
Douglas Peterson. U.S. Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000, p. 57.