(ex-Colonel William H. Baldwin)
Derived from a Native American word for “The Place of Happy Hearts.”
The Coast Guard acquired six "floating bases" for use as mobile floating headquarters units for the increasing patrol boat fleets coming into service for the enforcement of Prohibition. They were: Argus, City Point, Colfax, Moccasin, Pickering, and Wayanda. Four of the six were concrete-hulled vessels; the other two had wooden-hulls. All had extensive cabin structures topside.
Wayanda was the former Colonel William H. Baldwin. She was a concrete-hulled vessel with twin propellers. She was purchased on 21 October 1924 from the John W. Sullivan Company, New York. She was stationed at Greenport, New York as of 26 November 1924. She was last listed in Coast Guard records in 1934.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).