A word from the Massachusett's Native American tribe meaning "good spring nearby."
Builder: Spedden Company, Baltimore, Maryland
Length: 96' 6"
Beam: 20' 6"
Displacement: 182 tons
Commissioned: 30 July 1903
Decommissioned: October, 1945
Machinery: Reciprocating steam engine; 1 Babcock & Wilcox watertube boiler; 500 SHP; single propeller
Performance & Endurance:
Max: 12.0 knots
Cruising: 10.0 knots; 680 mile range (1945)
Complement: 11 (1945)
Winnisimmet was a 182-ton, 96' 6"-foot harbor tug, one of two Winnisimmet-class tugs built by the Spedden Company in Baltimore, Maryland, the other being the Wissahickon. Winnisimmet was launched on 11 October 1902 and was completed on 30 July 1903. She was placed under the command of Captain George H. Gooding, USRCS, and was ordered to Boston, Massachusetts.
She was transferred to the Navy on 6 April 1917 and was returned to Treasury Department control on 28 August 1919. She was then assigned to Baltimore, Maryland, where she served until 1932 when she was transferred to Norfolk, Virginia. She remained in service there for the rest of her service career, including World War II. She was decommissioned in October, 1945 and was sold on 22 July 1946.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).