Winona was named for Winona Lake, Indiana.
Builder: Pusey & Jones, Wilmington, Delaware
Length: 148' 6"
Beam: 26' 2-1/2"
Draft: 5' 10"
Displacement: 321 tons
Decommissioned: 12 July 1915
Machinery: Compound-expansion steam engine; 600 hp
Performance & Endurance:
Winona was an iron-hulled twin screw vessel constructed by Pusey & Jones of Wilmington, Delaware. On 30 December 1890 she was ordered to New Bern, North Carolina for duty. Her assigned cruising grounds were the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds but during the next years she saw service on waters throughout the southeast over to Galveston, Texas.
She was placed out of service at Arundel Cove, Maryland on 25 August 1902. She was placed back in commission on 22 August 1903 and was ordered to Sheildsboro, Mississippi. In 1904 her crew participated in the Mardi Gras parade at Mobile, Alabama. In 1905 the crew of Winona participated in the presentation of a silver service to the cruiser U.S.S. Galveston. They did the same thing for the battleship U.S.S. Mississippi in 1909. Other duties included hurricane relief in the Florida Keys in 1906 and working with the Public Health and Marine Hospital Service during quarantines. She patrolled regattas, transported dignitaries, and also enforced neutrality laws at sea.
She was placed out of commission at Mobile, Alabama on 12 July 1915 and was sold for $12,697 to a W. M. Evans of Mobile.
USS Winona, no date.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).