Water Lily, 1895
Any of various cosmopolitan aquatic herbs of the genus Nymphaea, having floating leaves and showy, variously colored flowers, especially N. odorata, with fragrant many-petaled white or pinkish flowers. Also called pond lily.
Builder: Gas Engine & Power Company, Morris Heights, New York
Beam: 10' 6"
Displacement: 39 tons
Commissioned: 31 October 1895
Machinery: Internal combustion engine (naptha-powered as launched); twin propellers
Deck Gear: None
Performance & Endurance:
Water Lily and sister Snowdrop were constructed as launches. Water Lily served as an Inspector's launch at Charleston, South Carolina, then the Indian River, Florida, and was then transferred to the 6th Lighthouse District in 1927. Her engine was changed from naptha to gasoline-powered in 1912.
She was sold in 1929.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.