A large, carnivorous feline mammal, Panthera tigris of Asia, having a tawny coat with transverse black stripes.
Builder: Patapsco Steam Tug Company, Baltimore, Maryland
Beam: 17' 6"
Draft: 9' 4"
Machinery: Direct-acting high-pressure steam engine; 26-inch stroke; 25-inch cylinder; main shaft of 6 3/4 inches; coal-fired boiler.
Performance & Endurance:
Tiger was one of three steam tugboats purchased in 1861 from the Patapsco Steam Tug Company of Baltimore, Maryland, for $9,000 each. The others were the Hercules and the Reliance.
Revenue Captain John McGowan took possession of her on 10 August 1861. She was fitted out under his supervision. She was placed in commission on 11 September 1861 under the command of Revenue First Lieutenant John M. Jones. She was ordered to New York on 27 November 1861 "for duty." She arrived on 19 December of the same year. After serving in New York waters for the majority of 1862, she was ordered back to Baltimore, arriving at Fortress Monroe on 26 December 1862. She was then ordered to "cruise in the Potomac between Fort Washington and Baltimore."
She was ordered sold in Baltimore on 10 July 1865 and was sold on 27 July for $1,950.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).