WAGL 244; ex-F. Mansfield & Sons
A low woody perennial plant usually having several major branches.
Shrub was built as the 435-ton, 107-foot wooden-hulled private steam freighter F. Mansfield & Sons that began service in 1912. She was purchased by the Navy in 1917 and saw service as the USS F. Mansfield (SP-691). She was transferred to the Lighthouse Service in 1919. She entered service as Shrub on 31 July 1920 and was based in the 2nd Lighthouse District out of Boston, Massachusetts. She ran aground on Black Rocks and sank in York Harbor, Maine, but was raised, repaired and returned to service.
She was transferred to Bristol, Rhode Island where she served out of through World War II. She was decommissioned on 1 July 1947 and sold.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.