ex-Maurice R. Shaw; ex-Cerberus
Beverly was originally built for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers as Cerberus. She operated as the civilian tug Maurice R. Shaw out of Wilmington, Delaware at the time of her "emergency" acquisition by the Coast Guard in 1942 due to the need of small escorts and patrol vessels to fill the gap until the construction of new warships could meet the need to combat the U-boat menace along the eastern seaboard.
She was commissioned on 6 October 1942 and was based out of Boston, Massachusetts. She was transferred to the Navy on 4 August 1944.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.