Cape Rosier, 1959
Builder: Coast Guard Yard, Curtis Bay, MD
Commissioned: 23 June 1959
Disposition: Transferred to South Korea, 24 September 1968, as PB 3
Length: 95’ oa; 90’ wl
Navigation Draft: 6’2”
Beam: 20’ max.
Displacement (tons): 98 fl (C)
Main Engines: 4 Cummins VT-12M diesels
BHP: 2,200; 2,470 (renovated)
Performance, Max. Speed: 22 kts.; 24 kts. (renovated)
Performance, Cruising: 12 kts., 1,780-mi radius (1961)
Fuel Capacity: 3,114 gallons
Complement: 15 (1961)
Armament: 20mm cannon (single mount )
Class History—The 95-foot or Cape class was an outgrowth of a need for shallow-draft anti-submarine-warfare (ASW) craft brought on by the increasing tensions during the years immediately following World War II. During the period of construction, three distinctive sub-classes evolved as the Coast Guard’s mission emphasis shifted from ASW to search and rescue (SAR), The A Type 95-footer was outfitted primarily for ASW. The B Type differed by mounting a 40 mm vice 20 mm gun and being fitted with scramble nets, a towing bit, and a large searchlight – all important SAR tools. The C Type units were constructed without the heavy armament and for economy some of the SAR equipment was also deleted. However, the Coast Guard added these SAR items to both the As and Cs during various refits. A renovation program began in the mid-1970s but was ended, due to increasing expenses and a shortage of funds, after 16 boats had been overhauled.
The 95-footers were designed by the Coast Guard and built at the Coast Guard Yard. Their hulls were made of steel while their superstructures were made of aluminum. This proved to be problematic throughout their service lives due to electrolysis between the dissimilar metals.
These cutters remained unnamed until January of 1964.
The Cape Rosier was built at the Coast Guard Yard in Curtis Bay, Maryland in 1958. She sailed to her homeport of Kahului, Maui, via the Panama Canal, along with her sister cutter, WPB-95335 (Cape Providence). Cape Rosier was stationed there until 1964 when she transferred after her annual refit in Oahu to Maalaea Harbor, Maui, where she served until 1968. She was used for law enforcement, small boat safety and SAR. At the time of her transfer she was under the command of LT J. M. Lightner. He was replaced in June of 1965 by LTJG Karl L. Reichett.
In July, 1965 she rescued seven from a lost and disabled 20-foot “Luger” boat between Kahoolawe and Lanai. As of May, 1966 she was under the command of LTJG M. H. Meehan. She participated in a SAR exercise that month with sister cutters Cape Corwin and Cape Small. In late June 1968, she towed the disabled sailboat Sharolyn 750 miles southeast of Honolulu to that port.
She was decommissioned and transferred to South Korea in September, 1968.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft, 1946-1990. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1990.