Cedar: an Old World coniferous evergreen tree of the genus Cedrus.
Builder: Craig Shipbuilding Company, Long Beach, California
Length: 200' 8"
Beam: 36' 6"
Draft: 13' 6"
Displacement: 1,970 tons
Commissioned: 30 June 1917
Decommissioned: 29 June 1950
Disposition: Sold, 27 June 1955
Machinery: 1 California Shipbuilding triple-expansion reciprocating vertical inverted steam engine; IHP 1,455; 2 oil-fired 3-burner furnace Scotch type boilers; single cast-steel propeller
Performance & Endurance:
Max: 12.0 knots
Cruising: 8.0 knots; 8,000 mile range
Deck Gear: Steel mast, wood boom, 20-ton capacity steam hoist
Armament: Small arms only (1917)
1 depth charge track (1943)
2 x 20mm/80 singles; 2 depth charge tracks (1945)
Electronics: None except radio (1917-1943)
SO-8 detection radar; WEA-2 sonar (1945)
The United States Tender Cedar, a sea-going tender, was designed for use in Alaskan waters. Her hull was of steel construction with a double bottom while her superstructure was made of wood. She replaced the wrecked tender Armeria. The Cedar was the largest tender ever built for the Lighthouse Service and was the first tender designed to be equipped with a radio. She also carried three small boats, including a steam-powered launch.
She was assigned to the 16th Lighthouse District and served out of Ketchikan, Alaska, servicing aids to navigation. She was acquired by the Navy from the Lighthouse Service in August 1917, and operated throughout World War I as a patrol vessel assigned to the 13th Naval District. She was returned to the Lighthouse Service under an Executive order of 1 July 1919.
During World War II, she was given the designation and hull number of WAGL-207 and was assigned to the 13th and 17th Naval Districts and was based out of Ketchikan. In 1942 and 1943 she operated in the Aleutian Islands in support of naval operations and on 11 September 1944 she assisted in refloating the freighter Kilosnik.
After the war Cedar returned to her peace-time duties. In 1947 she was transferred to Kodiak. She grounded in Swanson Bay, Graham Reach, British Columbia on 16 November, 1947, and sustained minor damage.
She remained in service until 29 June 1950 when she was decommissioned and turned over to the 13th District in Seattle for storage. She was sold on 27 June 1955 to Zidall Explorations, Inc., for $23,132.00.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft, 1946 - 1990. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1990.