A deciduous tree of the genus Ulmus, with arching or curving branches, widely planted as shade trees.
Builder: Rice Brothers, East Boothbay, Maine
Draft: 6' 9"
Displacement: 318 tons
Commissioned: 18 July 1919
Decommissioned: 1 July 1932
Disposition: 14 August 1934
Machinery: 1 3-cylinder internal combustion kerosene engine; 150 BHP; single propeller
Performance & Endurance:
Deck Gear: two wood booms, steam-powered hoist
Electronics: None (radio?)
The Elm was a working power derrick barge entered service in 1919, after almost being destroyed by fire while she was being built. She was assigned to the 3rd Lighthouse District and was based at Staten Island, New York, and maintained aids to navigation on the Hudson River.
She was transferred to the 11th Lighthouse District in 1930. She was laid up in 1932 and was sold in 1934.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.