A deciduous tree of the genus Ulmus, with arching or curving branches, widely planted as shade trees.
Builder: Defoe Boat & Motor Works, Bay City, Michigan
Length: 72' 4"
Beam: 17' 6"
Draft: 17' 6"
Displacement: 75 tons
Commissioned: 1 April 1939
Decommissioned: 30 July 1969
Machinery: 2 Winton diesel engine (each 150 HP); twin propellers
Performance & Endurance:
Max: 9.0 knots
Cruising: 8.0 knots; 900 mile range
Deck Gear: Steel boom, electric hoist; 3 ton capacity
Complement: 17 (1964)
The second Elm to see service was a bay and sound tender built to work the coastal and inland waters of New Jersey. She had a steel hull and a wooden superstructure. She entered service in 1939 as the Lighthouse Service merged with the Coast Guard.
She was originally assigned to Atlantic City, New Jersey, in the 4th Lighthouse (later Coast Guard) District. In 1942 she was given the designation and hull number WAGL-260.
Her engines were replaced in 1960 and she was redesignated WLG-72260 in 1965. She was decommissioned and donated to a private organization in 1970.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft, 1946-1990. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1990.