EM Conant, WYP-320 (ex-Henry W. Conant)
Builder: William G. Abbott Shipbuilding Co., Milford, Delaware
Commissioned: 1919 (commercial), 25 January 1943 Coast Guard
Decommissioned: 16 November 1943 and returned to owner 1 December 1943
Length: 124' 4"
Navigation Draft: 10' 1"
Beam: 22' 3"
Displacement: 385 tons full load
Propulsion: steam, single screw
Shaft Power: 200 SHP
Maximum Speed: 11 knots
Economical Speed: 9 knots
Fuel Capacity: NA
Water Capacity: NA
Endurance: 675 mile radius at 9 knots
Complement: 32 men (commercial)
The EM Conant was a former Menhaden fishing vessel. The EM in front of the name stood for Emergency Manning. Coast Guard records usually kept the EM before the name of the vessel. The Coast Guard chartered this vessel for patrol work. The charter cost the Government $750 a month and conversion costs were $111,600.
The EM Conant performed patrol duty in the EASTSEAFRON and was stationed at Cape May, New Jersey.