EM Covington, WYP-314 (ex-William T. Covington, Jr.)
Builder: M. M. Davis and Son, Solomons, Maryland
Commissioned: 1923 (commercial); 17 February 1943 Coast Guard
Decommissioned: 30 June 1943 and returned to owner on 7 July 1943
Length: 129' 11"
Navigation Draft: 10 ft
Beam: 22' 4"
Displacement: 440 tons full load
Propulsion: diesel, single screw
Shaft Power: 400 BHP
Maximum Speed: 11 knots
Economical Speed: NA
Fuel Capacity: NA
Water Capacity: NA
Complement: 34 men (commercial)
The EM Covington was a former fishing vessel. The EM in front of the name stood for Emergency Manning. Coast Guard records usually kept the EM before the name of the vessel. The Coast Guard chartered this vessel for patrol work. The charter cost the Government $750 a month and conversion costs were $116,100.