EM Pelican, WYP-329 (ex-Pelican)
Builder: Portland Shipbuilding Co., South Portland, Maine
Commissioned: 1919 (commercial); 4 June 1943 Coast Guard
Decommissioned: 6 August 1943; transferred to the War Shipping Administration on 14 March 1946
Length: 150' 4"
Navigation Draft: 13' 3"
Displacement: 690 tons full load
Propulsion: steam, single screw
Shaft Power: 700
Maximum Speed: NA
Economical Speed: NA
Fuel Capacity: NA
Water Capacity: NA
Complement: 32 men (commercial)
Armament: Probably none
The EM Pelican was a former Menhaden fisherman. The former Menhaden boats were used along the Atlantic Coast. The EM in front of the name stood for Emergency Manning. Coast Guard records usually kept the EM before the name of the vessel. The Coast Guard chartered this vessel for patrol work. The charter costs $560 a month and the conversion cost was $135,360.
The EM Pelican was assigned to the EASTSEAFRON and stationed at Little Creek, Virginia.