The fourth largest of the Great Lakes.
Builder: John Justice, Presque Isle, PA
Displacement: 60 tons
Keel Laid: Unknown
Disposition: Sold in 1849 for $684.
Armament: 1 x 18-pdr pivot gun, 1 x 6-pdr
This vessel replaced Benjamin Rush on the Great Lakes. Her construction was superintended by Captain Daniel Dobbin. Total cost for her construction was $3,600. After her acceptance, she was stationed at Presque Isle, Erie, Pennsylvania. Erie was active in preventing violation of U.S. neutrality during the Canadian insurrection of 1838 and was placed under the control of the War Department in April, 1839.
The cutter was sold in Erie on 31 July 1849 for $684.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).