Any of numerous flowerless, seedless, vascular plants of the class Filicinae, having fronds with divided leaflets and reproducing by spores.
Builder: Hall Brothers SB Company, Winslow, Washington
Displacement: 317 tons
Commissioned: 25 June 1915
Disposition: Sold, 19 September 1934
Machinery: 1 triple-expansion vertical inverted steam engine; 1 water tube, oil-fired Almy-type boiler; single propeller
Performance & Endurance:
Deck Gear: Wood derrick, steam-powered winch
Complement: 12 - 19
Electronics: None (radio?)
The Fern was a bay and sound tender built for service in the northwest. She entered commissioned service in 1915 and was assigned to the 16th Lighthouse District out of Ketchikan, Alaska.
She was decommissioned and sold in 1934. She apparently was used as a fishing trawler as late as 1981.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.