The Firefly was an 85-ton, wooden-hulled, 75-foot privately-owned schooner that the Lighthouse Establishment acquired in 1852. She was assigned to the 6th Lighthouse District.
She was renamed the Jasper in 1857. She ran aground at Shackley Banks but was only slightly damaged. She was seized by Confederate forces while under repair in drydock at Wilmington, North Carolina in 1861.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.