General Poe, 1870
Brigadier General Orlando M. Pope, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, served on the Lighthouse Board in numerous capacities from 1865 to 1884.
The General Poe was built by Birely, Hillman & Streaker of Philadelphia, for the Lighthouse Board and she entered commissioned service in 1870. She was a steam-powered, wooden-hulled, 60-foot tug that displaced 231 tons. She was first assigned to the 8th Lighthouse District. She was modified in Mobile.
She was transferred to the 4th Lighthouse District in October, 1871. There is no further record of her service available.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.