Builder: John Carrick, Erie, PA
Rig: Topsail Schooner
Displacement: 115 tons
Keel Laid: Unknown
Completed: 14 August 1849
Disposition: Sold 1856
Contracts for seven new cutters were let in 1848. At 115 tons, the two cutters of this Harrison-class, were somewhat smaller and of a lighter draft for work on the Great Lakes. Their total cost was $12,300.
The proposal of John Carrick to build two new cutters, the Harrison and Ingham, at Erie, Pennsylvania, was accepted on 16 October 1848. Lieutenant C. W. Bennett was ordered to superintend their construction on 29 October of that same year. The Harrison was completed by the contractor, delivered to and accepted by the Government on 11 August 1849.
This cutter was stationed at Oswego, New York from 1849 until her sale in 1856. She was damaged during a gale on 12 November 1852 and the estimated cost of repairs was $1,280.00. She was sold to Messrs. Merry and Gay for $1,690.00. on 6 October 1856.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).