The revenue cutter Pulaski was named for the American Revolutionary War hero Casimir Pulaski, a Polish cavalry officer who served with the Continental Army. He organized and commanded the Pulaski Legion, a corps of light cavalry and infantry, as authorized by the Continental Congress. He was killed in action during the assault on Savannah, Georgia, in October, 1779.
Builder: Baltimore, Maryland
Length: 78' 8"
Beam: 19' 6"
Draft: 9' 6"
Armament: 6 x 12-pounders
Pulaski was one of two Marion-class cutters, the other being Marion, that entered service in 1825. Their construction was supervised by Revenue Captain Isaiah Doane. Both were elaborately decorated vessels. Pulaski was initially stationed at Key West, Florida, although she had a deeper draft than was convenient for those waters. In 1827 she sailed for Wilmington, Delaware and the cutter Florida replaced her at Key West. On 19 August 1828 she returned to Key West and exchanged her officers and crew for those aboard Florida.
She was transferred to Mobile, Alabama in 1832. Her place was taken by the cutter McLane. Pulaski was to be ordered to Philadelphia but was instead sold in 1833.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).