A woody climbing or trailing plant of the genus Hedera, native to the Old World, especially H. helix, with lobed evergreen leaves and berrylike black fruit.
The Ivy began life as the 231-ton, 60-foot private steam tug Commodore, built in 1865. She was purchased for the Lighthouse Service from the Delaware & Chesapeake Canal & Towage Company in 1870. The Lighthouse Service christened her the Ivy.
She served in the 7th and 8th Lighthouse Districts as an engineering tender. She was decommissioned and sold in 1875.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.