A woody climbing or trailing plant of the genus Hedera, native to the Old World, especially H. helix, with lobed evergreen leaves and berrylike black fruit.
Builder: Baltimore Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, Baltimore, Maryland
Beam: 30' 5"
Draft: 13' 1"
Displacement: 877 tons
Commissioned: 9 May 1904
Decommissioned: 6 November 1940
Machinery: 2 compound surface condensing steam engines; 2 Page & Burton watertube boilers; twin propellers; 700 SHP
Performance & Endurance:
Max: 11.4 knots; 1,483 mile range
Cruising: 10.5 knots; 1,400 mile range
The Ivy was one of two tenders of the Magnolia-class that entered service in 1904, the other being Magnolia. She was built by the Baltimore Shipbuilding & Drydock Company. She was assigned to the 7th Lighthouse District and was based at Key West, Florida, as an engineering tender, where she served both the 7th and 8th districts.
In April 1914 she transferred to the 5th Lighthouse District and was assigned to Portsmouth, Virginia. Her boilers were converted to diesel in March, 1930. She was decommissioned on 6 November 1940.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.