ACM-5; WLB / WAGL-329
ex-Barbican; ex-Colonel George Armistead
A woody climbing or trailing plant of the genus Hedera, native to the Old World, especially H. helix, with lobed evergreen leaves and berrylike black fruit.
Builder: Marietta Manufacturing Company, Point Pleasant, West Virginia
Length: 188' 8"
Draft: 12' 10"
Displacement: 1,323 tons
Commissioned: 1942 (US Army); 24 March 1945 (USN); 21 April February 1947 (USCG)
Decommissioned: 26 November 1969
Machinery: Skinner Engine Company reciprocating steam engine; 2 Combustion Engineering boilers; twin propellers; 1,200 SHP.
Performance & Endurance:
Max: 11.5 knots
Cruising: 8.5 knots; 3,000 mile range
The fourth tender named Ivy, one of five Chimo-class Army minelayers acquired by the Coast Guard, entered service with the Coast Guard in 1947. She was initially stationed at Miami, Florida, and was assigned to tend aids to navigation and conduct SAR and LE operations when required.
She transferred to Portland, Oregon on 29 June 1951 where she remained during the rest of her Coast Guard career. On 29 June 1951 she assisted the M/Vs Alan Seeger and Audrey following a collision. On 23 October 1952 she assisted the M/V Paul T. Seafarer and on 12 February 1954 she assisted the F/V Western Fisherman. On 27 March 1954 she dragged for a sunken fishing vessel off the lower Columbia River. On 1 August 1958 she grounded near Lake Washington but sustained no damage and was refloated. In August 1959 she served on a law enforcement patrol off Puget Sound. On 15 January 1961 she assisted the F/V Mermaid off the Columbia River Bar. On 1 March 1968 she assisted following the collision between the Japanese M/V Suwaharu Maru and the Liberian M/V Mandoil II off Oregon.
She was decommissioned on 26 November 1969.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft, 1946-1990. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1990.