An evergreen tree or shrub of the genus Juniperus, having scale-like, often prickly foliage, fragrant wood, and bluish-gray berry-like fruit.
Builder: Spedden Shipbuilding Company, Baltimore, Maryland
Length: 95' 4"
Beam: 18' 2"
Draft: 5' 6"
Displacement: 146 tons
Decommissioned: 1 November 1932
Machinery: 2 inclined cylindrical inverted direct acting steam engine; 1 Roberts water tube coal-fired boiler; 300 BHP; twin propellers.
Performance & Endurance:
Complement: 7 (1915)
The first tender named Juniper was built in Baltimore in 1902 as an inland and harbor tender for the Lighthouse Service. She was assigned to the 5th Lighthouse District and was based out of Baltimore where she served as an inspection tender. She replaced the old tender Bramble.
She had new boilers installed in 1920. She was decommissioned on 1 November 1932 and was sold into private hands on 22 December 1932. She was converted for use as a freighter under the name Juniper and later served as the tanker Aubrey L. Hudgins, remaining in service until at least 1979.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.