Colonial American "Minutemen" militia fought a detachment of British troops at Lexington, Massachusetts on 19 April 1776, opening the Revolutionary War with “the shot heard round the world.”
The Lexington was a 122' wooden-hulled tug that was transferred from the U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps on 30 December 1922. She was commissioned on 27 February 1923 in New York, where she was assigned.
She was decommissioned and then sold on 4 November 1924 for $2,600.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).